Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Terragon (Sankor) 35/2.8 T-mount preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Terragon (Sankor) 35/2.8 T-mount preset Reply with quote

There are a lot of 35mm preset lenses. Every Japanese manufacturer (almost) produced at least one model. And it is not easy to distinguish one manufacturers product, or at least its harder to do so than for tele lenses, and its hard to spot them on ebay.

But this one seems to be positively identified -

L-Terragon 35mm R - Accura 135mm

My Accura Supertel 135/2.8 seems to have been accurately identified some months ago by comparing against Sankor branded lenses as a Sankor. Sankor was a maker of mainly cine lenses (and a lot of anamorphic equipment). The family resemblance of this Terragon (which may have been a brand name used by Taika and probably later also by Aetna) with my 135 Accura seems to identify it as a Sankor also, based on the aperture layout, engraving style, etc.

Sankor-made lenses were sold under the usual multitude of brands, including Accura, Aetna, Spiratone, Mayfair, and many others.

As a lens, it is quite well made to the usual Japanese standards of the 1960's, or perhaps in terms of fit and finish, a bit better than usual. In design its as standard as can be for a preset T-mount with the usual Japanese style double aperture rings.

The lens rear element protrudes more than usual, which is a common fault with these early wide angles. It projects several mm beyond the T-mount. It does not bother my crop-sensor mirror, but it might be a problem on an FF camera. Close focus is not very good for a 35mm, 2ft/0.7m .

Performance is quite good I think, its sharp at f/2.8 at least in the center, though perhaps not as good in the corners of my crop sensor - and maybe not good at all on an FF, but I can't tell. There is no distortion I can detect. Bokeh is quite good I think. It flares worse than my 35/3.5 SMC Takumar shooting into the sun, but thats a high standard to beat I think.

On the whole I am not particularly interested in this lens as a user, there are better ones easily available, but for the collector these are not easy to come by under any brand.

Some samples were done with extension ring for closer focus.

Flaring on Market street

Experiment in b&w conversion using GIMP with GEGL c2g operation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Dog and the last ones.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Luis. I like all the pics. But the point of view of the last seems to have a great potential (very nice perspective relationated with the bridge).

Pretty sankor lens. 5 elements like the takumar?

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread. I may have a chance to get this lens (Mayfair Sankor) in the 35mm f2.8 version and had never heard of it before, as a brand. I had a feeling it would have been discussed here, though!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your dog definitely got character Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luis

you make poor lenses look good

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Sankor that looks like it Reply with quote

It came in a spirotone case, so it was possibly made for spirotone...
I thought this lens was great, it has character.