Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Visionar 100 mm. f/1.6 + Speed Booster - first shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Visionar 100 mm. f/1.6 + Speed Booster - first shots Reply with quote

I've just finished the work at my Visionar 100mm f/1.6 projection lens and now it has a diaphragm, a focusing helicoid and a Leica R mount to allow me to mount it on my Leica R - Sony NEX Speed Booster. All the steps of this adaptation can be read in detail here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/forcing-the-visionar-100mm-f-1-6-to-accept-a-diaphragm-t68374.html

The lens is now looking like this:

Used in conjunction with the Speed Booster my Visionar becomes a 70 mm. f/1.15 lens, very convenient for close up and portrait shots. And, taking advantage of a late autumn sunny day, that's exactly what I tested it for.

And an 100% detail:

And some portraits :

And an 100% detail:

And a B&W conversion portrait:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic effort Dan, I tip my hat to you. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really impressive.
It was worth the effort !

Congratulations for the hard precise work and these great photographs.
I believe you were very satisfied, weren't you ? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, impressive work Dan. Not only on the skilled conversion, but the quality of the images. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful finish Dan.. congratz..
Any hint of F stop on pictures, to see different with and without aperture?
Nice results BTW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! And nice results

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific result! This is a superb lens, very well balanced between sharpness, color sat., color temp., macro & micro contrast, bokeh smoothness, and so on.
The way you've framed the images is also very nice, great work, worth the work done,

Best,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice job! Precisly done. And your great photos show, it was well worth the efforts!

Klaus
Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really excellent job and photo results! Good work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much gentlemen! I appreciate your kind words very much.

So far I like this lens a lot. But, as always happens, it has its drawbacks.
I wouldn't use it for all-sharp landscapes because its region of sharp focus is rather spherical (only noticeable in real life when the lens is focused at infinity), and its weight, while still comfortable at limit, is quite significant.

Olivier
Yes Olivier, I'm quite satisfied with the final conversion and I think it was worth the effort. Thanks a lot for your appreciation.

IAZA
Thank you, Suat. I'll make a comparative test with the lens closed to all diaphragm f-stops in the next day.

RSalles
Yes Renato, I think the lens has a very nice balance, too. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic results, congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, SVP.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, you did it Smile GREAT conversion and beautiful photos.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! How did you calculate "boosted" 1.15 aperture of initial f1.6? I have booster too for my nex-5n and wide amount of different lenses. For example what aperture will be for 50mm 1.7 and 100mm 1.8 with booster?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kamosor and rebelstar.

rebelstar wrote:
Great work! How did you calculate "boosted" 1.15 aperture of initial f1.6? I have booster too for my nex-5n and wide amount of different lenses. For example what aperture will be for 50mm 1.7 and 100mm 1.8 with booster?

The boosted aperture should be an one f/stop larger aperture than the initial one. One stop in ascending order is f/stop x 1.4 (1, 1x1.4=1.4, 1.4x1.4=~2, 2x1.4=2.8, ....) and in descending order is f/stop x 0.7 ( 2.8x0.7=~2, 2x0.7=1.4, 1.4x0.7=~1, ...).
An one stop larger aperture from 1.6 should be 1.6x0.7=1.12, approximated by me to 1.15 because the 0.7 normally used ratio is, in fact, a little greater (=sqt2). The second decimal has no effect on the final image and therefor I always approximate it to the closest 0.05.

The boosted 1.7 should be 1.7x0.7=1.19 (~1.2) and the boosted 1.8 should be 1.8x0.7=1.26 (~1.25).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this formula! So basically each time I need use x0.7? So, Canon dream lens 50 0.95 will be ~f0.6 Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is the formula.
If you read carefully the Speed Booster White Book on the Metabones site they say that there is a limit for the increase in luminosity with very luminous lenses. Probably the 50 f/0.95 Canon lens exceeds that limit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, congrats Dan, so very well done, and the results are amazing, specially the portrait and the crop of it!
resp. the Canon 0.95, for it being a rangefinder lens there no existing lens turbo, doubt it, but possibly there is enough space to X or E mount for a diy project (?)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kuuan!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see more fantastic photos from this lens, it's amazing Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, well worth the effort. Magnificent results!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingenuity is alive and well in Romania! Excellent images, too! Bravo!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Langstrum, frenched and moltogordo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen until now. Very nice. More please.