Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vernon Edonar 350mm 5.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Vernon Edonar 350mm 5.5 Reply with quote

In T2 mount, probably Kyoei made going by previous threads on here, it has that triple ringed focusing ring the others have, fairly lightweight with tripod collar and handholdable on a good day. I picked it up for a few pounds, incredibly dusty as though it spent it`s life in a barn but cleaned up well, there`s is a tiny patch of fungus on the edge of the rear element which I`ve left for the moment.

I took the first in March when I got it and thought hmm not bad, then it got left in the cupboard..

I next took it out to the Scottish airshow, the first one near me for around 14 years. I don`t have a big list of quality teles or zooms so took the Topcor 300 5.6 on the Nex but found it impractical due to lack of VF and tried the Minolta 70-210 beercan which was just too short mostly so ended up with the oldest and cheapest (£10) lens. I think it did not too bad...
No hood,handheld mainly at f11 on a mixed bag of cloud with the odd blue patch of sky showing though.

you get the general idea!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice !
Lucky to see the Vulcan.

Do you have a pic of the lens ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good shots, I love the Vulcan B&W shots especially. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely taken - MF lens and all.
Avro Vulcan - what a plane -
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why I love the Vulcan. Wink

http://forum.mflenses.com/vulcan-story-t68541.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a Vulcan flying !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, the Vulcan was worth the visit, one big noisy plane, I`d only ever seen it on the ground. There was supposed to be a Battle of Britain flypast with two Lancaster bombers and a Spitfire or two but it got cancelled due to winds.

Luis I will try to post some pics of the lens this evening.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive for a long lens. I was impressed when I first saw it at Dyxum.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Woodrim, just got round to putting on here after digging through an old Vernon thread. I`d be interested to see if Luis thinks it`s Kyoei and how common it is?
Some quickly taken pics of the lens, not had much time this weekend, apologies.

p.s. it`s 16 blades if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawakami/Kawanon
I have seen this in its manufacturers Kawanon brand.
The knurling of the focus grip is unusual and interesting in itself, and the 350mm lens is rather scarce.
Its 400/6.3 sibling is extremely common (the Astranar Girl Watcher) but not this one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Luis, I wasn`t sure Kyoei ever did anything this length. I`ll certainly keep it as it`s very useable and cheap, are other Kawanons of similar standard?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kawanons are not bad on the whole. Many preset Soligors are Kawanons though not always ID'ed as such.
I did pieces on the 400/6.3 and the 600/8.

The 400/6.3 isn't horrible but not quite as good as some of its competition of the day. That said these were made especially cheaply it seems. It does have its uses.
http://forum.mflenses.com/astranar-kawanon-400-6-3-girl-watcher-t61519,highlight,%2Bastranar.html

The 600/8 is about as good as one can expect for what it is. I misidentified mine as a Komine at the time, but no its a Kawanon.
http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-600-8-super-long-lens-not-telephoto-t17774,highlight,%2Bsoligor.html

I have some others no doubt but not positively ID'ed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the implication is that Kawanon was the actual maker, is that a brand of Kowa?

Last edited by woodrim on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shooting. I especially like the second Vulcan shot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Kowa -

Kawakami Seiki Seisakusho Ltd