Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Widepan .. adapter to use Canon on 5x4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Widepan .. adapter to use Canon on 5x4 Reply with quote

While searching for lens boards for my ol' LinhofColor 5x4 ive come across another adapter to use a Canon [or Nikon] body as the digital capture device

kinda impressively clever tbh

that off-centre-rotate promises impressive coverage

LinhofColor http://www.butkus.org/chinon/linhof/linhof_color/linhof_color.htm
and its manual http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/linhof_color.pdf

Widepan http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Widepan-4-x-5-Large-Format-to-Digital-Capture-Back-adapter-for-Cannon-/151291355663

anyone know or used this device ?

Last edited by etorix on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i'm definiotely started plotting to acquire one of these to use on my ol' LinhofColor 5x4"

which i havent used for like 15 years or so

the lens currently on it is a nice Voigtlander Technika-Heliar 21cm, in an unfortunately froz Compound #3 which did used to work, even had working flash sync at one time

which happens to be my only shuttered lens in Technika board, tho i have a few barrel lenses in other boards

including notably a Dagor 30cm with lenscap on a Technika 6x9 board, bought cheap with 2 other LF lenses [a Tessar and a Xenar, both a bit naff]

i do have a shuttered Carl Zeiss Planar 80mm 2.8, not mounted, shutter not 100%, 6x6 covering only, not scratched-up but fairly dodgy coating, prolly off a Graflex Press

i really must/should get something a bit more modern in working shutter tho, imho

ive got eyes on a Rodenstock 150mm Sironar-N and some Chinese Linhof-fit lensboards ..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Never used or have seem this one before, what I know is the Rhinocam,
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFwQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fotodioxpro.com%2Fvizelex-rhinocam-for-sony-nex-e-mount-cameras.html&ei=5DFKVMjdNMmWgwTOjoLAAQ&usg=AFQjCNFg1GDAOHhoTGGn1vzTyM6E8uv7YA&sig2=4iV0zZyzNGDupkEga2OX5A&bvm=bv.77880786,d.eXY

Great camera yours, old school, just perfect,

Renato
[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Great camera yours, old school, just perfect,

heh, actually it weighs a ton and has quite limited movements, but its built like a tank, not easily portable

theres a few about still too, i saw a complete kit in its case last week on da bay, looked hardly used

hmm .. RhinoCam eh, looks possible

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhinoCam seems to be an all-in-one dealie, nice and lightweight too

just add NEX + medium format lens, neither of which i possess currently

there are other 5x4 sliding backs to take Nikon or Canon bodies, m43 with adapters

which are intended for proper 5x4 kit with 5x4 lenses, which i've got some of, old kit maybe, but thats the interesting bit

this Widepan is the most interesting of its type i've seen -- and the Linhof connection is also encouraging

not to mention the price

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not sold on these backs. They're a great idea, sure, but I'm not quite certain how they improve the final result.

1- 4X5 lenses have less resolving power than modern DSLR lenses, meaning that the final stitched image will be less sharp.
2- Older lenses have fewer coatings which results in less contrast. Sure contrast can be added in post, but why create more work?
3- So now you'll be carrying two cameras into the field instead of one camera and a lens? That seems like a lot of added bulk.

Oh, and let's not forget that because of the added depth of the adapter and camera's sensor, you won't be able to use wide-angle lenses because the minimum bellows extension will be beyond infinity focus. So maybe this is just for stitching images of macros? The 40-ish mm of the camera body and 20-30mm of the adapter will make a huge difference in lens selection when combined.

Look, the best way to use your old 4X5 is to buy a pack of 4X5 film, shoot it, and then digitize the negatives with your DSLR and a macro lens. That will give you significantly better results than a wonky, camera-shaky, heavy, and usability-limiting digital adapter back.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude -- get over yerself pls

i'm the best judge of how to use my equipment on the day, thanks, and this aint my first rodeo

my ol LinhofColor is no field camera, never was, never will be [its NOT the Technika in that GIF above]

its seen plenty of film in its day, as have I, including my share of 8x10"

its also not my only 5x4" neither

tho it IS the one currently with a Technika-Heliar 21cm fitted, and i'm curious to see how it looks directly digitally captured

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, got one of these ordered, should be with me in the week

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, started CLA on the LinhofColor, it really really needs a serious cleanup

also tested unmounting the Heliar cells from the Compound #3 shutter, all good so far

i think the shutter may just want flushing out, least i hope so, it worked before, seems gummed-up just

i have a 150mm Rodenstock Sironar-N in Copal shutter on the way from Japan, along with a spare Linhof-fit board they threw in

just needs its ransom paid at ParcelFarce -- 44gbp [unnngh]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 210 5.6 Sinaron Rodenstock lens, I'm suru you'll like the 150mm as well.

Sds,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodenstock build quality is excellent on all the ones ive seen

they look good too

also its likely to have modern hard sharp

most of my LF lenses are old, some very-old, i wanted a standard modern standard to compare against for myself

been watching-out for a affordable Nikkor-W short

the dealer in Japan i got this from just got a gazillion Fuji Fujinons into stock tho

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, Linhof-CLA- is gone well so far

Nikon shutter-cables have arrived

[or reasonable facsimiles, they look ok]

+ in other smaller-format news, my eagerly awaited+anticipated mflensescom [SP] Nikon-RF to M43 adapter arrived

got my Nikkor-S.C 1:1.4 5cm mounted at last

seems works well

course it immediately started pouring with rain, and the light went anyway, heh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, light is independent of our needs/expectations.
There's a guy selling lens cells from a 5.6/135 Nikkor W (fits Copal #0) at the large format photo forum, really mint, I tought to get it but not, I have this FL already.

The Fujinon W are great too, never disappointing, less contrasty in general then Nikkor, what I like.

Tried to trade out my Leica Summicron by a Voigtlander Heliar but it hasn't happen, have to wait...

Post pics, ASAP,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, well, viewable pics may be some time

i have to learn RAW and stitching etc, setting-up workflow yada yada on 64-bit Linux

as well as new-to-me hardware, its softwares also

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, today i got a
Quote:
Spanner Wrench 3 Tips For Camera
amazons' 1-day delivery [only on some items] is great

http://i.imgur.com/yKk3PgI.jpg?1

to swap a lens from one lensboard to another that fits my Linhof 5x4" ... now sporting a 150mm 5.6 Rodenstock Sironar-N, got from Japan so super-clean, in well-working shutter, a standard lens for 5x4, came on wrong board but they threw in a Linhof-fit one

i used the middle set of tips in the image above .. worked great

aint figgered out what them little black plastic tips are for, nor the grubscrews, tho i guess they could be for more permanent setup

i also have a few old and hazy LF lenses that need debuilding for cleaning .. as well as the Compound #3 on my Technika-Heliar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Hehe, light is independent of our needs/expectations.
There's a guy selling lens cells from a 5.6/135 Nikkor W (fits Copal #0) at the large format photo forum, really mint, I tought to get it but not, I have this FL already.

The Fujinon W are great too, never disappointing, less contrasty in general then Nikkor, what I like.

Tried to trade out my Leica Summicron by a Voigtlander Heliar but it hasn't happen, have to wait...

Post pics, ASAP,

Cheers,

Renato

now theres a thought, this 150mm Rodenstock is in Copal #0, all really clean

i might be able to catch other cells

i've got it remounted to the Toyo board that the Japanese threw in for free, nice of them eh

all i need now is a project

and to learn the hugin + RAW softwares, quicksmart

"Speed 'o' Light" as the big man said

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Running Linux Mint here, didn't get to work with the Hugin's app - never arrive to align perfectly a frame with another, my fault of course.
For raw processing, Lightzone is very good and pping with Gimp.

2 days ago the FedEx delivered here:
- Sinar Copal shutter with the cable
- Schneider SA 8/90 (bought from Keh)
- Symmar 5.6/180 lens cells
- Gitzo ball head
- A "sold as-is" Minolta Flash Meter IVF (which I came to the conclusion that it will never run again)
The camera I own is a Sinar F2.
Last month a forum member sent me as a gift 3 process lenses - Staeble Ultragon 240, 210 and 150 - 1 Air Ministry 4.5/135 and a Ross London RR 4.5135, all these lenses without shutter, just had to make the lens boards and some retaining rings or flanges.
This afternoon I'll get out and make some shots with the new gear, hope it will come as intended, as I'll carry with me 3 lenses and a Shutter which I never used before,

Best,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really shouldnt http://skinkpinhole.com/wp/webshop/shop/grossformat/fuer-linhof/

but i probably will

Click here to see on Ebay

[ Linhof Technika Skink pinhole lens board adapter EXC++ ]