Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vario Sonnar T* 80-200 f4 does quite well at arty stuff.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
But though it may be a tad long it's quite light.

Kind of like the Minolta 60-200 and a number of other lenses from that time frame. As others have said, great shots, frenched.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
I think some of the shots are a little soft because of the shutter speed being a little low for some of the images (assuming most of them are at 200mm). #1 is nice and sharp, but its also taken at 1/2000.

I've settled for a Yashica 80-200 ML for landscape purposes. One day I'll get these puppies Very Happy

+1

Based on the first image, this lens is pretty sharp, and it can't go wrong with other images except you did this way. Most of the images is not as sharp as the first one so I suspected you got some vibration.

I also mostly shoot primes, but I have few zoom lenses, and I'm sure the FD 80-200 f/4 L can be a bit better than this lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day I saw a Canon lens made collar - 3rdy part actually - for long lenses which could prob. be adapted to the Zeiss zoom.
At ebay there's a bunch of it... (I'm thinking to bring one for the Jupiter 21M 4/200, find the beast heavy enough,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
The other day I saw a Canon lens made collar - 3rdy part actually - for long lenses which could prob. be adapted to the Zeiss zoom.
At ebay there's a bunch of it... (I'm thinking to bring one for the Jupiter 21M 4/200, find the beast heavy enough,

Cheers,

Renato

Renato, one could put a collar on this zoom, but then the collar will interfere with the user being able to access the entire zoom range.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
The ironic part is, for as long as the barrel is, I can't figure out a spot to place a tripod collar if I could find one to fit the lens.

Maybe the Manfrotto 293 'Telephoto Support' could be of use? Just without the strap so you have the full zoom range.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding length/weight, I find its ok as its not super heavy, although it does stick out a fair bit. Its not super great to hang it around your neck and walk around. Smile

I also have the Vario Sonnar 35-70 f3.4, which is a lovely lens:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
RnR wrote:
I think some of the shots are a little soft because of the shutter speed being a little low for some of the images (assuming most of them are at 200mm). #1 is nice and sharp, but its also taken at 1/2000.

I've settled for a Yashica 80-200 ML for landscape purposes. One day I'll get these puppies Very Happy

+1

Based on the first image, this lens is pretty sharp, and it can't go wrong with other images except you did this way. Most of the images is not as sharp as the first one so I suspected you got some vibration..

It was a gloomy day and I was just messing around, so I ended up compromising on shutterspeed. I din't mind for the art shots though.Sharpness isn't everything.

HOWEVER, I would like to have more control over these decisions, so I ordered a monopod yesterday. I'm struggling with handheld shots at the longer lens spectrum Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a general impression that many Zeiss lenses quite often have issues with CA? Surprised
IQ else wise is superb in most cases.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 5 cents regarding this gem:

[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the VS80-200 it's my best MF tele-zoom.

I also have a Tamron 70-210SP (#19AH) and the Canon FD 70-210/4. When tested each @200mm on my A7r I was a bit surprised by the results. In order of performance (@200mmm) my copies ran Zeiss clearly first, with the Canon a surprisingly close second. The Tamron, which I expected to beat the Canon and possibly even the Zeiss, was in last place for both sharpness and CA.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
CBokeh wrote:
The ironic part is, for as long as the barrel is, I can't figure out a spot to place a tripod collar if I could find one to fit the lens.

Maybe the Manfrotto 293 'Telephoto Support' could be of use? Just without the strap so you have the full zoom range.

Wow! That's something.

Considering that people are saying that the lens is not so heavy, just long, it may do well for me without a tripod mount. I know other people have long complained about the weight of the C/Y 35-70 (which I imagined applied to this longer lens as well) and the 35-70's weight has never bothered me in the least.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I have a general impression that many Zeiss lenses quite often have issues with CA? Surprised
IQ else wise is superb in most cases.

I agree, though I only have/had a few. I guess it was a trade-off when it came to lens design and marketing decisions. CA isn't the curse it once was. These days easily removed in Lightroom with click or two.

I also have a Zeiss Jena Prakticar (Sonnar) 300/4. Awesome lens but the CA is a bit worse. Yet still easy to fix.

rudolfkremers wrote:
Regarding length/weight, I find its ok as its not super heavy, although it does stick out a fair bit. Its not super great to hang it around your neck and walk around. Smile

Check out the Black Rapid sling-style straps. I have the RS-5. A little pricey but they're great.

Arctures, very sweet shots! Smile

Hey Renato, post a link to the tripod collar you found if you can. I'd like to see it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=lens+collar&_from=R40&_osacat=15200&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xlens+tripod+mount+ring&_nkw=lens+tripod+mount+ring&_sacat=15200

Cheers,

Renato