Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vario Sonnar T* 80-200 f4 does quite well at arty stuff.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Vario Sonnar T* 80-200 f4 does quite well at arty stuff. Reply with quote

All of these have very little PP. Just a shockingly good zoom lens.

Sharp as hell:

BW version:

Some other pics, all from my garden:

This is like some amazing sci-fi painting or landscape to me...

Some more...

Works in BW as well...

This was just an hour in my garden walking around playing with my son, taking shots as I went along...

Last edited by rudolfkremers on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, honestly I'm not impressed, not even taking into account it being a zoom lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
hmm, honestly I'm not impressed, not even taking into account it being a zoom lens.

It would help if you actually explained why you feel that way.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with the quality of your feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself, I am impressed. Super-smooth bokeh, and it does indeed look sharp. Does it perform equally well at all focal lengths?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
Myself, I am impressed. Super-smooth bokeh, and it does indeed look sharp. Does it perform equally well at all focal lengths?

Thanks Very Happy
It does, and the constant aperture is great. The mechanics are super smooth and its just a joy to use!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well known top zoom lens, congrats! I am on Klaus side, even if I have many great performer zooms, somehow I almost always choose primes to shoot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lens with a great reputation, I think it looks good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an excellent lens. But like any tool, it's only as good as the hands of the craftsman.

Not saying I'm a craftsman and someone else isn't, I just miss mine. . . <sniff>

http://forum.mflenses.com/rip-vario-sonnar-80-200-t68382.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost exclusively use primes, but a great lens is a great lens. I'm very surprised at the artistic qualities of this lens. Smile

I already knew its fantastic at documentary style stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really nice output. I'm very impressed by what I have seen of this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think zooms are really useful for landscape work. While you can always adjust your distance to your subject, when it is small enough, you can't do the same with hills far away. In this case zooming is the only choice to take an image. So it has its uses, and the VS really delivers the sharpness and colors.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the shots are a little soft because of the shutter speed being a little low for some of the images (assuming most of them are at 200mm). #1 is nice and sharp, but its also taken at 1/2000.

I've settled for a Yashica 80-200 ML for landscape purposes. One day I'll get these puppies Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this lens comes into its own when shooting people and animals - those sort of shots show of the lens' character - it has great pop. The only downside is a little green CA.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
I think some of the shots are a little soft because of the shutter speed being a little low for some of the images (assuming most of them are at 200mm). #1 is nice and sharp, but its also taken at 1/2000.

I've settled for a Yashica 80-200 ML for landscape purposes. One day I'll get these puppies Very Happy

That's a great lens, I think it gives my Vivitar Series.1. 70-210 something to worry about. And the Vario Sonnar is supposed to be far better than the Yashica.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:

Yeah it was another overcast day and actually quite dark and gloomy. One of the reasons why I was so pleasantly surprised is that I expected much worse results due to the circumstances and my dodgy handheld technique Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I think this lens comes into its own when shooting people and animals - those sort of shots show of the lens' character - it has great pop. The only downside is a little green CA.

I think it's pretty interesting across the board actually. I expected to use it for people, animals, landscapes... but then I was totally surprised at the qualities it has for shooting art photos. I definitely need to spend more time with it...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

I don't disagree, but the pop is all about quality of ambient light and camera angle. When hit just right, the VS definitely delivers.

I used the 80-200 almost exclusively on my recent African safari trip. (The other was the VS 35-70.) It totally lit up the animals but it did very very well with sunsets/landscapes. Color rendition and sharpness in the savannah woods and open plains in morning/afternoon light were just superb.

Sure, there's some CA. But not a problem these days as one click in LR makes all that go away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens, a good lens for sure.
Maybe Klaus mean concerning to the title blown away.. The lens is good, you can get more beautiful shots with it. It's hard for people to say blown aya for such pictures, It doesnt mean that bad shot at all.
Maybe if you include the cropped to see detail I can understand if you say blown away by it's detail
This is my sample with it, I'm not saying this is good shot, just to show detail on cropped one. wide open.

Cheers...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it blew me away. I think a bigger problem for some people is the type of shots. What blew mW away was the artistic quality.

I'll see if I can edit the thread title.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those shots are indeed arty and as such they provoke some subjective criticism that I wouldn't take too seriously.
They are not too soft to me. I'm very impressed with your compositions and the restrained color tones. Very nicely done!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it preforms well, I like shallow DOF myself. Perhaps a few shots not wide open?

Roger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
Perhaps a few shots not wide open?

I can offer some. Taken at f/5.6 or f/8. I was shooting at high ISO to keep the shutter speed up because, well, it's MF and handheld. Don't recall the others, but the last one is at 80mm and full-frame (no crop).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous animal shots. The fact you took this lens on safari says a lot for it to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots Smile

I have literally used this lens once, on a gloomy day, in the garden.It did produce some very nice portraits, even under those conditions.

I can't wait to try it out in more diverse circumstances however.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Those shots are indeed arty and as such they provoke some subjective criticism that I wouldn't take too seriously.
They are not too soft to me. I'm very impressed with your compositions and the restrained color tones. Very nicely done!

Understood Smile

Thanks for the nice feedback, I am going to have fun with this lens I'm sure, and will definitely try a variety of subject mater/style.
I think I need to get a monopod though....