Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Non OEM batteries and charger for a6000
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Non OEM batteries and charger for a6000 Reply with quote

I am using an a6000 and battery life isn't exactly fantastic and it takes a very long time to charge the battery through the usb thingie. So I would like to buy an extra battery and a charger. If I am buying them from sony itself that would cost me 120€. I am looking over at ebay now and am seeing I can buy a non OEM battery and a charger for 20€.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Charger-for-Sony-Alpha-a3000-Alpha-a5000-Alpha-a6000-Mirrorless-camera-/400720059931?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item5d4cc6de1b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-NP-FW50-USB-Charger-for-Sony-alpha-DSLR-A6000-ILCE-6000-/380953105730?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item58b2931542

Anyone have any experience with other batteries than the sony ones?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful, some of these batteries are fine to use but some can be a problem, I once had one swell up inside the camera and it was a real worry trying to get it out and worrying that it might explode. Personally I still use some of the better made ones which are usually the mid priced versions from somewhere such as 7dayshop but I will never use the cheapies again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the NEX charger, and the batteries are the same. I have 6 different makes third party batteries and have not had a problem.

In fact in all the time I have been using hi-8 and digital cameras I have always bought third party batteries and have had no problem at all. In fact some brands have a higher capacity and last quite a bit longer in use.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nex F3 does not work with a copy battery that works fine in old nex 5..
Try and confirm that any replacement does work or is returnable.
USB charging is rubbish - I never use it now I have wall-charger.

I had an original Nikon battery swell up and jam in a camera recently - removed with some effort ! !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spakkker wrote:
Try and confirm that any replacement does work or is returnable.

if you are buying from an ad, make sure the specific camera you use is mentioned in the listing of compatible cameras. Some apparently the same batteries will not work due to the camera expecting a 'chip'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input
After reading up on it a bit more,
I don't feel like risking it now as long as my camera is still in warranty
I will just buy a separate charger

I also have a nex3n which I don't use all that much anymore, apparantly it uses the same battery so I can use that one as a spare for the a6000 Cool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
Thanks for the input
After reading up on it a bit more,
I don't feel like risking it now as long as my camera is still in warranty
I will just buy a separate charger

I also have a nex3n which I don't use all that much anymore, apparantly it uses the same battery so I can use that one as a spare for the a6000 Cool

My NEX 5 uses the same and my friends old Sony SLT camera used the same. It is his old batteries which I have.

I have read much about this subject before, and most problems that people have are very rare. If it works it works.