Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus G.Zuiko OM 50/1.4 or Minolta MC Rokkor-X 50/1.4 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Olympus G.Zuiko OM 50/1.4 or Minolta MC Rokkor-X 50/1.4 ? Reply with quote

Olympus G.Zuiko OM 50/1.4 or Minolta MC Rokkor-X 50/1.4 ?

I have both of these lenses and I want to get rid of one but I don't know which one to sell.

Which one do you think should I keep ?

Are they both just as good or is one better than the other ?

I would really appreciate your feedback, thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have either, but from what I have read the Rokkor may have the edge as far as other people's opinions is concerned.
What kind of images do you usually/most commonly make?
Try both of them in these circumstances and analyse what pleases you about their images.
If one stands out for you - what makes this one more pleasing to you than the other?
Keep the one that gives you joy.
If they both do but in different ways - keep them both.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody can help you.
It depends how you use these lenses , on which camera, your expectations and your taste.
It depends the quality of the samples you have.

Keep both, use them , test them. Make your mind before selling one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree. Keep both and test them - I've had both and liked both.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would think you are the most qualified to tell us ...every body sees different things in different lenses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Nobody can help you.
It depends how you use these lenses , on which camera, your expectations and your taste.
It depends the quality of the samples you have.

Keep both, use them , test them. Make your mind before selling one.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both those lenses, I shall keep both. Wink If I was forced to choose, I would probably keep the Minolta - for one simple reason, which has nothing to do with the optical qualities of two fine, but different lenses. I use the Minolta more because the lens release of the Olympus lenses are more prone to being accidentally knocked and releasing the lens when mounted on the adapter for my Sony, I have modified the Minolta adapter but not the Olympus.

Optically each lens has it's own characteristics, I like them both.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I have both those lenses, I shall keep both. Wink If I was forced to choose, I would probably keep the Minolta - for one simple reason, which has nothing to do with the optical qualities of two fine, but different lenses. I use the Minolta more because the lens release of the Olympus lenses are more prone to being accidentally knocked and releasing the lens when mounted on the adapter for my Sony, I have modified the Minolta adapter but not the Olympus.

how would you describe the differences..at the moment its my most used focal length and i am using a canon FDn f1.4 50mm and like it but would like to try some more 50s

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference is - the Minolta gives warmer colours, they are both sharp. 50mm lenses from the big manufacturers are going to be good, the slower ones that were sold with the cameras had to be good, if they were bad the manufacturer would lose the sale on the wide angles and short tele's that the aspiring photographer would buy next.
The faster 50's sold as the more expensive - better quality - lenses, but were they always better? A lot of people rate the Rokkor 1.7 as better than the 1.4. And today the faster lens still commands the highest price.

I think the differences are marginal, how much different to the Canon you already have? You'll have to do some pixel peeping to find out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

How's the focus ring on the Olympus?
I love the silky smooth focus on the MC Rokkors (brass on aluminium, too bad Minolta switched to alu/alu in the MD series).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="davev8app"]
Lloydy wrote:
how would you describe the differences..at the moment its my most used focal length and i am using a canon FDn f1.4 50mm and like it but would like to try some more 50s

If I might make a few suggestions. Here are a few 50ish lenses you could try. All good quality. All will give distinct images. I was able to buy each off Ebay for less than $50 US, some considerably less.

Konica Hexanon AR 57mm f1.4
Pentax Super Takumar 55mm f1.8
Yashica ML 50mm f1.7
MEYER-OPTIK GORLITZ ORESTON 50mm f1.8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Olympus lenses have a nice feel to them, and although the cameras are light and have a nice 'delicate' feel to them, the lenses feel like a good lens should. I have a Rokkor and Zuiko 50 1.4 here on the desk, and actually - the Zuiko feels nicer, and of course they have a distinctive look with the aperture ring on the front and the chrome ring to the back where the stop down and lens release buttons are. I really like both lenses, but the Zuiko just beats the Rokkor in looks and feel. And that's important when we use a lens, it adds to the pleasure.

The Pentax Super Takumar 55mm f1.8 and Yashica ML 50mm f1.7 that Newst recommends are two more great lenses, the Yashica was a lens I bought by accident really, and I was blown away by it, but remember to get the ML and not the DSB versions of Yashica lenses. The DSB's aren't bad - the ML's are excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question reminded me of an old old tale of the producer of Star Wars. When Acura came out with the NSX, he loved that car so much for its looks, performance and price, he bought three NSX's of three different colors. He probably didn't have enough money for a Ferrari or he thought he could get three cars for the price of one, better deal.
If I were you, I'd buy one or two more 50mm f1.4 lenses by Canon or/and Nikon. The shots from the lenses may come out similar but the feeling of shooting with one particular lens for a particular occasion should be pretty good. Better yet, the price for one lens is only enough for a tank of gas, so affordable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 copies of the OM 1.4/50. It is IMHO the best Olympus lens I have tried so far - owned the 135/3.5, 200/4, 2.8/28 (the worst by far) 3.5/35mm and 1.8/50.
Few months ago I have open a thread in the big size samples area with a lot of BW pics made with it. The lens is SHARP.

I would also get a Minolta Rokor, the problem is that I don't have a digital camera to use it, only a film camera, XG-1 (thanks X-Press forum member).

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
the Olympus lenses have a nice feel to them, and although the cameras are light and have a nice 'delicate' feel to them, the lenses feel like a good lens should. I have a Rokkor and Zuiko 50 1.4 here on the desk, and actually - the Zuiko feels nicer, and of course they have a distinctive look with the aperture ring on the front and the chrome ring to the back where the stop down and lens release buttons are. I really like both lenses, but the Zuiko just beats the Rokkor in looks and feel. And that's important when we use a lens, it adds to the pleasure.

Damn you! You got me thinking about getting an OM-kit again... The multi-spot metering in the OM-4 is quite intriguing.
I have already decided to sell my recently acquired Canon FD gear (I'm keeping the 200/2.8 for now, the rest has to go) and re-invest into lenses for Fuji and Minolta mounts.

On topic:
You should decide whether you want to collect "nice" lenses or if you want one "nicest" lens for each purpose.
If you're fine with becoming a collector, keep them both. If you want to select the "nicer" one, you can choose some criteria (i.e. sharpness [center "-" edge-to-edge, wide open "-" stopped down], bokeh, handling, size, weight)
and compare them on each of those. If they are substantially different rather than better/worse, you can still keep both.

You are in a better position to compare the two than any of us (sample variation!).

I'm trying to follow the "one lens for each purpose" approach myself but I'm rather bad at it...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, you are doomed my friend....... Laughing I have an OM10, without the manual adapter, and a few lenses that I need to get rid of - very cheap. I'm not sure if the metering is the same though?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Boris, you are doomed my friend....... Laughing I have an OM10, without the manual adapter, and a few lenses that I need to get rid of - very cheap. I'm not sure if the metering is the same though?

HEY! I'm Trying!

I just sold two redundant lenses (Kiron 28/2 & Minolta MD 50/1.4) and put a couple up for sale (FDn 28/2.8, FDn 50/1.8 + Canon T90) today,
three of the lenses in my sig have been up for sale for a couple of days (135/2.8, 200/4, 300/5.6 + Minolta X-700) and so have some I didn't list there (Tokina 400/6.3, Tamron 35-135/3.5-4.5).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many of these "Which should I keep?" threads result in the original poster buying something else?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
I wonder how many of these "Which should I keep?" threads result in the original poster buying something else?

I think they result in whoever watches them buying something else (or more)! Now I am thinking about buying a Yashica ML 1.7/50 that I had already decided not to buy. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
kenetik wrote:

I think they result in whoever watches them buying something else (or more)! Now I am thinking about buying a Yashica ML 1.7/50 that I had already decided not to buy. Rolling Eyes

Laughing ( It's a lovely lens Wink )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
uddhava wrote:
kenetik wrote:

Laughing ( It's a lovely lens Wink )

I'm not listening!! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:

^^^^^ This!!!! Wink

I did a test a while back on a variety of 50-58mm F1.4 lenses, wide open and stopped down.
(Minolta MC+MD, Super Takumar + SMC Tak , Oly, Konica, Nikon, Canon FD, Yashica [M42]

It was a sharpness, contrast and CA test, but it was on a crop sensor. (micro 4/3)
As I recall, the Minolta MD was equally sharp in the centre, sharper in the corners, and better with CA (corners), but the Oly had better contrast.

It might be time to do another test, this time FF on an A7. This time sharpness, contrast, CA test and Bokeh.