Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Autumn session with Auto Chinon 1:1.4/55 - Pic Heavy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Autumn session with Auto Chinon 1:1.4/55 - Pic Heavy Reply with quote

I got a bunch of Chinon glass (35mm, 55mm, 135mm, 200mm) but hadn't tried them out too much. I read that the 55mm f1.4 does nice painterly things, so I decided to give that a go. All these photos are from this morning circa 8am, very overcast, after a rainy spell in the night.

My aim was not to test for sharpness etc.. but purely for artistic rendering. Some have been PP-ed a fair bit, others not at all/much.
I have to say I really like this lens Bokeh can be painterly, or smooth, depending on approach, and at f1.4 it's pretty fast. I am looking forward to trying this on video as well...

Some alternative renders:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, some lovely pictures, and obviously a very good lens. I like the few Chinon lenses ( and cameras ) that I've got, but I haven't got this 55.......yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Very nice, some lovely pictures, and obviously a very good lens. I like the few Chinon lenses ( and cameras ) that I've got, but I haven't got this 55.......yet.

Thanks. I was surprised myself Smile
Mine has the leather grip, and is a bit jerky, but my other Chinons handle smoother than any of my other lenses...

I really recommend this one, as it is pretty cheap, yet has obvious quality Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice colors, textures and bokeh. Assuming you didn't do too much enhancement, it shows some good artistic qualities.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautifully presented.
I have this Chinon with a Tomioka appendage to the branding.
Likely yours is the same maker.
It is a lovely lens to use as well.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I still have to try the 35mm, 135mm and 200mm. The latter one I used a little bit, and it seemed sharp and handled nicely, but suffered a bit from CA. I have to give it a proper go though....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record - a piccie of mine
If it is the same type of appearance maybe the same manufacturer.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks identical, but mine doesn't say Tomioka. Also on mine the glass is slightly yellow... not sure if that is just the coating's natural colour or actually yellowed...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
Looks identical, but mine doesn't say Tomioka. Also on mine the glass is slightly yellow... not sure if that is just the coating's natural colour or actually yellowed...

Probably the coating on the lens.
Mine is the same - I think that these were early multi coated or single coated.
OH