Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Summicron 50 vs Leica Summilux ASPH 50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Leica Summicron 50 vs Leica Summilux ASPH 50 Reply with quote

I own both the Leica Summicron 50mm f2 v5 and the Leica Summilux ASPH 50mm f1.4. I find I haven't used either lens that much to date as enjoy the 75mm Summicron APO for sharp model portraiture and fashion shots, the 90mm Summicron pre-ASPH for soft glow portraits and the Leica Noctilux 50mm f1.0 v2 for the same (plus others).

Today I had a Leica wedding and just got myself a Leica M3 double stroke with the 50mm frame line 0.91x viewfinder. I wanted to fit a 50mm lens and leave it attached. I could chose from the Lux ASPH for 1 stop brighter or the Cron 50 for a more compact size. Both are sharp wide open but the 39mm filter thread Cron 50f2 compact size to me makes it the clear winner. I plan to keep this lens on the M3 and get to know the 50mm framelines so can visualise the frame before I bring the camera to my eye. The Cron 50 has been great for film photography in the past on my Leica M2 and Voigtlander Bessa R3A.

Example Summilux ASPH 50 photo on M9 - https://flic.kr/p/ijdRbv
Example Summicron 50 photo on M9 - https://flic.kr/p/j3qpdT

The same arguement also applies for the M2. It has 35mm framelines so I now plan to keep it a fixed 35mm (and the M3 a fixed 50mm). My options for 35mm lenses are a Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.2 ASPH or Voigtlander Color Skopar 35mm f2.5. I bought the Skopar for it's tiny size originally but have not used it a great deal so far. The 35f1.2 ASPH is a big heavy lens and makes a camera front heavy so it was a no brainer to 'assign' the compact Skopar to the Leica M2. Super small reportage camera setup.

Example Voigtlander ASPH 35 photo on M9 - https://flic.kr/p/fK1GLY
Example Voigtlander Color Skopar 35 photo on M9 - https://flic.kr/p/n9EQw1

I keep the big lenses for the digital Leica M9. I often use triggers for lights so the camera is bulkier anyway so size not an issue. The 35mm f1.2 ASPH proved a lifesaver today for low light wedding photography on the M9.

Just my 2p worth.. Wink

Last edited by MatthewOsbornePhotography on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:18 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica Summicron 50 vs Leica Summilux ASPH 50 Reply with quote

This thread is worthless without photos.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

MatthewOsbornePhotography wrote:

I own both the Leica Summicron 50mm f2 v5 and the Leica Summilux ASPH 50mm f1.4. I find I haven't used either lens that much to date as enjoy the 75mm Summicron APO for sharp model portraiture and fashion shots, the 90mm Summicron pre-ASPH for soft glow portraits and the Leica Noctilux 50mm f1.0 v2 for the same (plus others).

Today I had a Leica wedding and just got myself a Leica M3 double stroke with the 50mm frame line 0.91x viewfinder. I wanted to fit a 50mm lens and leave it attached. I could chose from the Lux ASPH for 1 stop brighter or the Cron 50 for a more compact size. Both are sharp wide open but the 39mm filter thread Cron 50f2 compact size to me makes it the clear winner. I plan to keep this lens on the M3 and get to know the 50mm framelines so can visualise the frame before I bring the camera to my eye. The Cron 50 has been great for film photography in the past on my Leic M2 and Voigtlander Bessa R3A.

The same arguement also applies for the M2. It has 35mm framelines so I now plan to keep it a fixed 35mm (and the M3 a fixed 50mm). My options for 35mm lenses are a Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.2 ASPH or Voigtlander Color Skopar 35mm f2.5. I bought the Skopar for it's tiny size originally but have not used it a great deal so far. The 35f1.2 ASPH is a big heavy lens and makes a camera front heavy so it was a no brainer to 'assign' the compact Skopar to the Leica M2. Super small reportage camera setup.

I keep the big lenses for the digital Leica M9. I often use triggers for lights so the camera is bulkier anyway so size not an issue. The 35mm f1.2 ASPH proved a lifesaver today for low light wedding photography on the M9.

Just my 2p worth.. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica Summicron 50 vs Leica Summilux ASPH 50 Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
This thread is worthless without photos. - Just added examples with 50mm & 35mm

Will post photos of cameras+lenses once their straps arrive.

MatthewOsbornePhotography wrote:

Today I had a Leica wedding and just got myself a Leica M3 double stroke with the 50mm frame line 0.91x viewfinder. I wanted to fit a 50mm lens and leave it attached. I could chose from the Lux ASPH for 1 stop brighter or the Cron 50 for a more compact size. Both are sharp wide open but the 39mm filter thread Cron 50f2 compact size to me makes it the clear winner. I plan to keep this lens on the M3 and get to know the 50mm framelines so can visualise the frame before I bring the camera to my eye. The Cron 50 has been great for film photography in the past on my Leic M2 and Voigtlander Bessa R3A.

Just my 2p worth.. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting comment Matt, I shall adopt to that in future.
Very ZEN Wink Wink Wink