Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cassar, Cassarit, Cassaron
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Cassar, Cassarit, Cassaron Reply with quote

I know (or I think I know) that the Steinheil Cassar is a triplet.
Anyone know about the designs of the Cassarit and Cassaron lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Steinheil lenses Reply with quote

"Cassar, Cassarit, Cassaron ..." reminds me of learning latin at school all those years ago "amo, amas, amat..." - !

I always thought the Cassars were triplets, the Cassarits were 4-glass triplets, and the Cassarons were either symmetricals or Sonnar-types. But I've just looked in my copy of Cox's "Optics" and he says the Cassars were FIVE element triplet derivatives and the Cassaron the simple 3-glass types. I think for once in his life he might be wrong there. Time for more learned MF Lens members to add to the font of human knowledge - !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil lenses Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
"Cassar, Cassarit, Cassaron ..." reminds me of learning latin at school all those years ago "amo, amas, amat..." - !

I always thought the Cassars were triplets, the Cassarits were 4-glass triplets, and the Cassarons were either symmetricals or Sonnar-types. But I've just looked in my copy of Cox's "Optics" and he says the Cassars were FIVE element triplet derivatives and the Cassaron the simple 3-glass types. I think for once in his life he might be wrong there. Time for more learned MF Lens members to add to the font of human knowledge - !

Stephen,

That is not necessarily true: it's a common practise for lens manufacturers to re-use lens names for different constructions, even for Zeiss, the Sonnar was originally a Contessa-Nettel name, then recycled for those for the Contax; the Biogon was an assymetrical lens for the Contax and then the name was reused for a large-format wide-angle lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil lenses Reply with quote

Seele wrote:

Stephen,

That is not necessarily true: it's a common practise for lens manufacturers to re-use lens names for different constructions, even for Zeiss, the Sonnar was originally a Contessa-Nettel name, then recycled for those for the Contax; the Biogon was an assymetrical lens for the Contax and then the name was reused for a large-format wide-angle lens.

Ah! A good point - and it restores my faith in Arthur Cox !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil lenses Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Question:
When you say 4-glass triplet, do you mean a cemented pair plus 2 additional
air-spaced elements?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for teh record: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Steinheil

It is a triplet lens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Cassarit name was invented when the Cassar was recalculated (to be "color corrected"). Apparently the Cassar had a poor reputation in its own time, and the Cassarit was supposed to be much improved.

The Auto-Cassaron seems to be a different design again (but also a triplet) the one I had could not outperform a Domiplan, although it looked very pretty!

So while they are all triplets, they are not all the same design.