Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma Y-Zoom 21-35/3.5-4.2 - someone know that lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Sigma Y-Zoom 21-35/3.5-4.2 - someone know that lens? Reply with quote

Greetings Forum,

i've read some time ago that the Y-Zoom Sigma should be a way good wide angle lens, but unfortunately, it's prone for flare & ghosts,
and the lens-hood was built-in, therefore the name Y-Zoom, it looked a bit like a TIE Fighter, with some imagination. Very Happy

Now, i've bought the Mk. II version (C/Y - Contax/Yashica Mount), which does have as advantage a ordinary Lens Hood Design, so it's
not directly attached to the lens body. The lens is of course full-frame capable.

This picture here is from the Mk. I version, Image by Carsten:

[/img]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lucispictor-photo/3525548078/

Anyone knows that Lens here on MFlenses? Smile

greetings

Last edited by doomed-forever on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the subject is wrong as the lens starts at 21mm.

Second, the photo you shown are the AF version which Carsten sold. The mark II manual version is supposed optically the same the AF version which is a well-known good performer.

Third, we have at least one thread here http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-21-35mm-f-3-5-4-2-experiences-samples-added-t18180.html .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you use my picture from FLICKR (BTW, I would appreciate it if you firstly name the image author and secondly link to the Flickr image!), I can as well answer you: That lens is a good lens given the time of its marketing. Most of the new super-wide zooms are most probably better, but also much more expensive.

My dad used to have this lens for his Fuji S2Pro. When he sold his Fuji stuff and went on to Pentax, he also sold the lens.

But a couple of weeks ago, I bought another one for me, because I got it for very little money and thought it would complement my AF lenses for my F-601 and D7000 well.

And here are my other FLICKR images of this lens:

But, as Calvin has pointed out correctly, the lens which is shown in the image is the AF-version!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
First, the subject is wrong as the lens starts at 21mm.

Second, the photo you shown are the AF version which Carsten sold. The mark II manual version is supposed optically the same the AF version which is a well-known good performer.

Third, we have at least one thread here http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-21-35mm-f-3-5-4-2-experiences-samples-added-t18180.html .

From a person which is much younger than myself, that kind of answer is somehow unfriendly "nobody knows it all"...1st, i've had changed to 21mm _before_ you replied, 2nd i haven't found any thread about that lens - and 3rd, i've bought the Mk. II version - as i wrote. I hate behaviour from ppl like you this way.

@Carsten

sorry, i haven't known this - since i wrote "from flickr".... i've bought the MF version, not AF. Anyway, i don't know how good or bad that lens performs in optical terms. Way funny, i'm too from Hessen, have lived into Wiesbaden 25 years, and later then Frankfurt...

greetings
marc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:

sorry, i haven't known this - since i wrote "from flickr"....

Marc, it's really not a question of knowing the image author or not, it's a matter of good style at least to name the author when you use his/her photo, isn't it? I mean, there is a copyright even on Flickr photos which are not under CC licence.

Just writing "from flickr" is not sufficient.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if this photo is used here in the forum! OK? So, don't worry.

But I am kind of allergic against using someones photos and publishing it anonymously. Yes, I have done this myself and I also need to admit that this was wrong. Do you know when I started to realize? When a bloody Chinese seller used one of my photos for his EBAY auction without permission and without asking. That really annoyed me - and EBAY did not offer a chance to report that auction!

So, meanwhile I react pretty quickly and directly (as typical for a German). Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Carsten,

understood you completely. Well, for example, i've seen some of my works from my dA Account floating onto some crappy i.Phone Wallpaper Site, which was selling these stolen photographs...seems that this page was just into some asian country, that bloody thing..about 2 years ago. I've never grabbed pictures from others onto the web and shared them online, claiming it's my own, this was only a lens picture here inside the forum for identification purposes, Carsten. And i do have forgotten your flickr link, sorry.

cheers
marc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wrote, Marc, don't worry. It's fine here in the forum. We are (almost) all friends. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited my 1st post. (added flickr link from carsten)