Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

minolta x300s capacitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: minolta x300s capacitor Reply with quote

To change the capacitor pf one minolta x300s, one with 220 mfd and 16 v. Is ok?
Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to understand the question, the Minolta X300s has a 1.0 pF capacitor? Or is it some other value?

If the answer is 1.0 pF, then NO, you cannot replace it with 220 micro F 16V.

Last edited by dnas on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/2/17582.html?1263511239

I knew I'd read about this somewhere. 'Classic Camera Repair Forum' - always a good source of information.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so if the original capacitor is a 220 micro Farad 4V, then you CAN replace it with a 220 micro Farad 16V one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microtools has the right capacitors. Search for X700 instaed of X300.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Microtools has the right capacitors. Sear@@ch for X700 instaed of X300.

The x300s id the x9. The x700 is so superior to the 300s?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Minolfan wrote:
Microtools has the right capacitors. Sear@@ch for X700 instaed of X300.

The x300s id the x9. The x700 is so superior to the 300s?

I think he means the capacitors are the same, but there's more info for X700 - and microtools lists its one under X700 (out of stock, sadly):
http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=9531-1575-61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced it in mine and put the one I had available (that was a 220uF 25v one if I recall properly) but any of the same capacity and bigger voltage than 4v will work. The only restriction is the size:

But prior to replacing capacitors, please check the mechanical part on the other extreme of the X300 base: sometimes it gets locked and gives the same symptom than the capacitor one. I found it when I replaced the capacitor and the camera wasn't working. Actuating the levers unblocked the mechanism and the camera started working properly.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. A lot. Very usefull.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But prior to replacing capacitors, please check the mechanical part on the other extreme of the X300 base: sometimes it gets locked and gives the same symptom than the capacitor one. I found it when I replaced the capacitor and the camera wasn't working. Actuating the levers unblocked the mechanism and the camera started working properly. "

Please, can you explain with some detail which parts are you talking about. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
"But prior to replacing capacitors, please check the mechanical part on the other extreme of the X300 base: sometimes it gets locked and gives the same symptom than the capacitor one. I found it when I replaced the capacitor and the camera wasn't working. Actuating the levers unblocked the mechanism and the camera started working properly. "

Please, can you explain with some detail which parts are you talking about. Thanks.

Rino,
I budged these levers and all the mechanism around, and suddenly unblocked itself.

Replacing the capacitor was of no use.

Good luck.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot has already been written about the x300, I can only reiterate that it is an excellent film camera , easy to use, and well made.

However, it does suffer from electrolytic capacitor failure, and this is well documented on the web. Replacement of the capacitor is easy provided you have the correct tools namely: #000 JIS Screwdriver (Moody), solder absorbing wick, miniature soldering iron and tweezers - and also a steady hand and the capacitor which is 4v 220uf. If you don't have these then leave it to the experts. I have six x300 bodies and of four I bought for 'spare or repair' all had capacitor failure. Of course if you buy one in perfect working order the
capacitor may still fail.

Another problem, which has not been documented as far as I know, is: corrosion of the battery holder. It comprises three parts: screwed cap, battery contact, and plastic battery holder. These are moulded together and cannot be dismantled without destroying them. The problem is corrosion gets between the battery contact and screwed cap and prevents the electrical connection. The way to fix the problem is to ultrasonically clean the battery holder for about one hour in water with a quirt of washing up liquid. I suspect the x700 could have a similar problem. You could try a local jeweller/clock repairer if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner.

I should also mention that Minolta MC and MD manual focus lenses fit the camera. Minolta and Leica had a collaborative agreement on bodies and lenses. Frankly, what's good enough for Leica is good enough for me.