Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Want to buy Helios 44M 58/2...Advice?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
I think the M in 44M means that the mount is M42.

As far as I know, and from experience, the "M" denotes auto-aperture, ie. there is a pusher pin that closes the diaphragm when the shutter button is pushed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you not get a Helios of some description for everyday use & pick up a set of tubes for [almost] macro work? I picked up a set of two [13mm & 21mm] C/Y tubes for £11 Wink

I recently bought a 44-2 & nice & sharp but I'm not keen on the look of it...... Confused Loses contrast shooting into light too but that's not much of a concern if you are aware & work around it. I wouldn't mind a 44M-2 or -3 but they seem thin on the ground at bargain prices compared to the 44M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is remarkable how prices for Helios 44-2 and 44M have appreciated in the last twelve months.
From what I can see they have roughly doubled in price.
I wish the stock market had performed so well.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
It is remarkable how prices for Helios 44-2 and 44M have appreciated in the last twelve months.
From what I can see they have roughly doubled in price.
I wish the stock market had performed so well.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
OH

I've been trying to sell some and haven't had one enquiery, perhaps the UK is flooded with them? I certainly don't bother buying them any more, and I've seen two for sale in charity shops this week, but they are attached to old Zenits and I really don't want any more of them! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Gerald wrote:

As far as I know, and from experience, the "M" denotes auto-aperture, ie. there is a pusher pin that closes the diaphragm when the shutter button is pushed.

Then what does the K mean in a 44K4 if not K mount?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
skida wrote:
Gerald wrote:

Then what does the K mean in a 44K4 if not K mount?

K is definitely K mount, M may stand for M42 mount, but it can't explain why Helios 44, 44-2, 44-3, 44-7 without M still have M42 mount. And what is the other difference between Helios 44 and 44M, if not the A/M switch?
It makes me confused.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that was their plan all along, confusion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K stands for Pentax-K mount. The Zenit -A ( Automat) camera line had the K mount and for that they made the Helios-44K-4 lens. Tried 2 of them. Got awesome results from them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the APS-C camera the Helios-44M becomes a portrait prime lens with the pretty good maximum aperture of F/2. The lens is sharp enough at F/2 at the center of the frame but soft at the edges of the APS-C frame even at F/2.8. Overall the lens is not so sharp as the modern autofocus lenses with similar focal lengths and apertures. However it's good enough for short and medium distance shots at maximum apertures due to the narrow depth of field even with the APS-C sensors. As for the swirling background at F/2-2.8 you have to decide by yourself if you need to blame the lens for it or not. Anyway the price is so low and the build quality OF THE EXPORT VERSION is excellent that... why not try it?..

My review of my copy of the lens with shots at different apertures:

http://aflenses.ru/reviews/a-subjective-look-at-helios-44m-258-m42-fujifilm-x-pro1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Ray Parkhurst wrote:
Holy cow, great responses, but so many differences between versions. Perhaps I should have stated what I wanted the lens for to narrow the choices...

I do coin photography, so am looking for a version that is optimized for macro work.

I use a scanner! Embarassed

I pretty much agree with peter. I have had 44 eight blades, 44 13-blades, 44-2, 44-3, and 44M-7. While the M-7 was rated higher in resolution, I couldn't tell from results. In fact, my perception has been that the 44-2 is the best of them. I have sold the M-7 mainly because it doesn't feel good - cheap build quality. I'll sell the 44-3 too when I get around to it. Some 44-3 do not seat properly on an adapter; mine does - I had to look for right serial number range. I'll keep the 44-2 and do prefer the preset type. The 44 with eight blades does not seem to be as good as the 44-2, but it also falls way short of infinity and may be dirty inside. The 44 with 13-blades is not yet in hand, but I do look forward to trying it out.

They can all be had for relatively cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 44-4 and a 44-2, both M42 mount. As has been mentioned, the 44-2 has a more swirly bokeh and the 44-4's is smoother. I tend to use the 44-4 as my go-to lens and haven't used the 44-2 as much and I'm not sure why. Inertia, perhaps?

I picked them up in the past couple of months and they ran between $20-30 each.

It pairs nicely with an extension tube if you want to do macro work. Here's a test shot I took when I first got it, I think at f8, handheld, 1/60.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question from other side of the counter Smile

I have 4 helios lenses, and I want to sell them as one batch, since international delivery is evil. How do you think, how much this lot is worth?

The lens are as follows:

M39 Helios 44, silver, minimal scratches on body, glass intact, some oil on aperture blades, 8 blades. No coating. Made in 60s

M42 Helios 44M, black, EXC+ condition on body, glass perfect, no oil on aperture blades, 8 blades total, lens coated (purple), made in 1982.

M42 Helios 44M-6, black, never used, excellent condition body and glass, no oil on blades, 6 blades total, lens coated (purple), made in 1991.

Pentax K mount MC Helios 44K-4, never used, excellent condition body and glass, no oil on blades, 6 blades total, has multicoating (MC), made in 1997.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, I've listed the dates, prices, and condition of my Helios lenses. I can't seem to find the 44-2 record. Prices are without shipping.

44-2 Very Good
4/2010 44M-7 $31.96 Excellent
8/2010 44-3 $14.49 Excellent
9/2011 44 $28.94 (8-blade) Fair
5/2014 44 $32.79 (13 blade) Good