Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petzval 120 3.8 P6 lens by Denys Ivanichek First Impression
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Petzval 120 3.8 P6 lens by Denys Ivanichek First Impression Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures. Can you show us a picture from the combination (lens with cam)?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed that looks very good to me! Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Which Camera mounts does he provide?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like an interesting lens, I'd love to own!
Gratulations!!!!

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I was really interested in that project and came very close to investing. Ultimately it was just a little too much money for me for a specialty purpose lens. I was afraid of taking a roll, going "ah, that's kind of cool sometimes" and never picking it up again. Sort of like a fisheye. It has an awesome novelty factor when you first use it but it's definitely not a lens that is always in a photographer's bag.

Although it took him longer than expected, he seemed to really deliver, even offering a few upgrades (like the aperture blades) along the way. He did a great job.

Can't wait for a few more samples! I like the second one because it shows that swirl.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very nice, indeed. I like its swirly bokeh, sharpness and contrast a lot.
Now you have both modern Petzvals made this year. How do they compare against each other? You are one of the very few members here to have them both, if not the only one. It would be very interesting to know your direct user opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More field curvature is the value of these things I would think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test, thanks for showing us. The lens looks rather good to me, it has the classical Petzval signature and is plenty sharp enough.

Here's some shots I made yesterday with an old 1950s Petzval type projection lens, for comparison:

http://forum.mflenses.com/aldis-projection-lens-f3-2-100mm-on-sony-a850-t68849.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against the light - my dad was in the shadow of the building with the light coming in from just above and behind his head. I think mine is uncoated and you're seeing some veiling flare in that shot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't mind the flare and lowered contrast, it gives a certain dreamy character to the images. However, that is in the miniscule amount of sunlight we get here in northern England, I imagine it's much more of an issue in Dubai.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine it would take me some time to adjust to your lighting conditions, being so used to working in low light and dull, gray flat conditions.

I had noticed your creative use of flare in your work and it is one aspect which I enjoy, I even admit to stealing some inspiration from some of your flarey shots.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flares can be very nice and a Petzval certainly can deliver that easily, especially an uncoated one Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernhard,
I'm very happy to read that you like the lens. It is true, the project was not easy and I spent huge amount of time putting everything together.All of that was accompanied with very poor cooperation from the CNC company and caused that huge delay time and other complications for me. It is a fairly difficult project for one person.
Although, I'm very happy with the images taken with the Petzvar, I'm still care about other people's impression of it. You know, we all have different expectations. The Petzvar is not the easiest lens to work with, since it is a real antique lens by optic configuration, it has all of its flaws, including chromatic abberations and very shallow depth of field. All of that and the fact that Petzvar is a moderate telephoto lens, makes it fairly difficult to focus and I personally suggest to use a tripod. I'm afraid there will be people, trying to compare the Petzvar to some other modern manual focus lens, but as I have mentioned in the project description and on my website, the Petzvar is not an improved lens, it was made to take pictures, genuinely resembling those, taken in the beginning of photography era.
I'm really happy that so far I only have received a good feedback from supporters like you. I would love to see more images, taken with the lens and also, I would appreciate if you allow me to use them on my web site with credits to you. I'm really looking forward to see more photographs, taken with Petzvar.
Thank you for your support!
Denys Ivanichek.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retrospective wrote:
Bernhard,
I'm very happy to read that you like the lens. It is true, the project was not easy and I spent huge amount of time putting everything together.All of that was accompanied with very poor cooperation from the CNC company and caused that huge delay time and other complications for me. It is a fairly difficult project for one person.
Although, I'm very happy with the images taken with the Petzvar, I'm still care about other people's impression of it. You know, we all have different expectations. The Petzvar is not the easiest lens to work with, since it is a real antique lens by optic configuration, it has all of its flaws, including chromatic abberations and very shallow depth of field. All of that and the fact that Petzvar is a moderate telephoto lens, makes it fairly difficult to focus and I personally suggest to use a tripod. I'm afraid there will be people, trying to compare the Petzvar to some other modern manual focus lens, but as I have mentioned in the project description and on my website, the Petzvar is not an improved lens, it was made to take pictures, genuinely resembling those, taken in the beginning of photography era.
I'm really happy that so far I only have received a good feedback from supporters like you. I would love to see more images, taken with the lens and also, I would appreciate if you allow me to use them on my web site with credits to you. I'm really looking forward to see more photographs, taken with Petzvar.
Thank you for your support!
Denys Ivanichek.

Great to see you hear Denys and from what I can see (experienced form using historic Petzval lenses and some Petzval designed projection lenses), this is a fine lens you have built. Congratulations on that!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Awesome! I was really interested in that project and came very close to investing. Ultimately it was just a little too much money for me for a specialty purpose lens. I was afraid of taking a roll, going "ah, that's kind of cool sometimes" and never picking it up again. Sort of like a fisheye. It has an awesome novelty factor when you first use it but it's definitely not a lens that is always in a photographer's bag.

Although it took him longer than expected, he seemed to really deliver, even offering a few upgrades (like the aperture blades) along the way. He did a great job.

Can't wait for a few more samples! I like the second one because it shows that swirl.

Thank you, I really appreciate your interest in Petzvar project! I absolutely agree with you, Petzvar is not an everyday lens. Just like my Speed Graphic 4x5 Graflex, I do not carry it everywhere, but at some circumstances when I have a right mood, there is just nothing out there, that can replace it.