Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trioplan 2.9/50 Altix Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 1st and last one are really wonderful shots!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Klaus.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:
Great shoots!

Is it possible to make adapter with scrapped altix camera mount (+ PK or M42 adapter)? I've got 6 (4 trioplans and 2 tessars) with altix mount, collecting dust...

the problem using a camera mount is the moving part of it. The mount is a breech lock type, slot the lens in and turn the breech lock on the body. It would be difficult to do, as mechanically it would be quite challenging - at least to me!

Read the first part of this post, the OP had described how he does it.

Basically the Altix FFD is almost exactly the same as M42. All you need to do is file a little of the M42 thread down so the bayonet will slot in, then fix it with glue. Use an M42 adapter for PK. If you are careful the M42 mount will be unaffected and can still be used as normal. My posts showing photos have lost the images and I cant find the originals!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the lens adapted. It seats to the M42 flange, but you can see its diameter is a tad smaller than the threaded siver insert in the M42 adapter. Still, it is a clean adaptation and works very well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I can see where you marked the adapter for the flanges. I use hot glue as I said, you can get coloured hot glue, I use the black when using it on my PK to M42 as there is a very slight gap. A thin bead of blu-tak does the job too

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens too. I got it for $25 with a dusty Praktica a few months ago and just hoped it wasn't busted up. My copy is not mint and does need an internal clean, but the rings are still smooth. One of my favourites, considering it normally sells for at least three figures! It gives very interesting soap bubble bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this lens so much that I have purchased a second Altix version. I will mount the second one with a little extension so that it focuses closer. I will try to get the best balance of close focus and as much distance as it allows. Here are some recent, although on some I didn't hit the focus as well as I would have liked.

Into the sun with some flare...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images! Stunning vibrant colors and great detail, especially given the cropping.

The bokeh in the very first is reminiscent of some shots I've gotten from the Oreston 50/1.8 in bright sunlight at fast shutter speeds.

That last shot is just magical. Love the combination of the bubbly bokeh with the light streaming across.

Congrats on the successful adaption.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are correct, Judy, that the Oreston produces similar bokeh. I have purchased one recently just because of that and look forward to trying it out. Thanks for your comments. The last one, facing the sun, did provide some flare as you noticed, but seemed to be too subtle. I would have preferred a more pronounced ray or none at all, but do appreciate your comment. I think I just missed the focus as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos. The bokeh to the max!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all goes good, tomorrow i'll be richer with another trioplan for 10$ (and altix with it) - first one is in bad shape. Fingers crossed.

btw. anybody compared "altix" tessar with regular one? any diff. with IQ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about this one - didn't get the grass like I wanted, but can't resist the bubbles...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved those photos. Woodrim you managed to put little Trioplan to the map of bubble makers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Pancolart. It is the reason I purchased the lens, but I was quite surprised with the quality of the lens beyond special effect. I look forward to receiving my second one so that I can mount it for close-up. Naturally, getting closer will be helpful with the bokeh ring/bubble effect since it is one of the important factors, along with background distance. I also have on way to me a 3.5/75mm Trioplan which I hope to be good for these effects. The 2.8/100 remains elusive to my affordability.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Smile, with 3 other altix lenses (tessar is missing in this showdown)

now waiting for the sun ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:
Got it! Smile, with 3 other altix lenses (tessar is missing in this showdown)

now waiting for the sun ...

Nice. I'll be interested in see the Telefogar too, especially at f/3.5. I've been curious if it offers anything unique.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever find a Domiplan that has working blades I will probably pick it up. From fairly limited evidence, it appears to make background bubbles too in close up shots.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
If I ever find a Domiplan that has working blades I will probably pick it up. From fairly limited evidence, it appears to make background bubbles too in close up shots.

You need to shot wide open for the bubbles...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:

Yes it does, but so far my experience is that it isn't nearly as good as Trioplan. Just in case I have one of the many bad copies, I have purchased a second one to try. Following are Domiplan...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Basilisk wrote:

Yes it does, but so far my experience is that it isn't nearly as good as Trioplan. Just in case I have one of the many bad copies, I have purchased a second one to try. Following are Domiplan...

There you go - cheap bubbles. Domiplans seem to go for under £10 here. Maybe I should try taping one to my Nikon D600 and just use it for closeup. Is there really any good reason you would use this lens at infinity focus? And as Calvin says, why would you stop it down, so who needs a working aperture?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:

There you go - cheap bubbles. Domiplans seem to go for under £10 here. Maybe I should try taping one to my Nikon D600 and just use it for closeup. Is there really any good reason you would use this lens at infinity focus? And as Calvin says, why would you stop it down, so who needs a working aperture?

Both are good points. If you stop down or shoot at infinity (or anything not very close) you're essentially using it as a normal 50mm instead of special effect. As a normal 50mm it can be decent when stopped down to f/5.6, but no purpose if you already have better lenses. Surprisingly, the Trioplan I have is also a good, sharp general purpose 50mm, albeit a tad slow.

Mounting to a Nikon will definitely render it close focus, but I don't know how close - or I should say how far you can focus. I wouldn't want it restricted to just a couple of inches, but approaching 8-10 inches could be nice. I will be attempting to bring my second Trioplan down to that range, but ultimately it will wind up wherever I like it best after some tests. I suppose I can do the same with one of the two Domiplans I'll have.

I should mention that I have a hard time focusing the Domiplan precisely, even with the excellent focus aids in the NEX. It doesn't pop into a clear focus, but seems to go from blur to less blur, then back to more blur again without passing sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:

Your price estimate looks correct. I paid about the same for each of mine - just over $15 including shipping. The second one, yet to arrive, looks mint.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain and cloudy day, almost desperate...

(resize and some contrast adjustment)

Trioplan @ 2.9

Telefogar @ 3.5