Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trioplan 2.9/50 Altix Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Trioplan 2.9/50 Altix Mount Reply with quote

Bought this lens attached to an Altix-N camera. Both are in mint condition. The build of the lens is very good. To adapt it to my NEX-5N, I took my old M42 adapter and modified it slightly but grinding away the threads on the M42 threaded insert. I only removed the threads in the three spots where the Altix mount flanges need to clear. After grinding away the threads in those spots, it slipped easily inside the adapter and seated lens flange to adapter flange. A few drops of a very good CA glue now holds it securely in place. Despite the advertised register being 42.5mm, it works perfectly with the M42 44.5mm register. It achieves infinity - actually a tiny bit past, just how I like it. Here are my first shots with it properly mounted...

Last edited by woodrim on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous shots, especially the butterflies. The bokeh is beautiful. Add a pic of the lens when you have time, would love to see it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More more more

What beautiful pics and the bokeh in the first one just blows me away. Reminds me a little of my Helios 44-6 Smile

I wish I had that lens and the color, what can I say .Very well done.

Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, a lens to get creative with. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful photos. I need more practice with mine.
Seems like an easy adaptation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very easy adaptation. I have a couple of Altix lenses which I use time to time. I glue mine with hot glue. It holds the lens mechanically and can be removed completely with a good hard pull. I use my Altix cameras, so I wouldn't consider a permanent solution.

If you were in the UK I'd offer to but the Altix body from you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh is to die for!!! Congrats on the stunning images.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive "Asian Style" images!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealous....nice pics

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the bokeh in 6 but the others, especially the first two are too busy for my tastes. The trioplan can also make smooh bokeh, so I suppose it's a matter of how busy the background is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words. It is an interesting lens in that it can perform very well as a normal lens, or become something very funky in close up photos.

It must be used in certain ways close up. because if the background is too close, it can get very busy and cause seasickness. Some of my shots were awful because of the angle of the shot, and others just too crazy. The lens can definitely be a lot of fun.

All of my images have been cropped since the minimum focus distance is not real close. It surprised me how many of my shots were in good focus. Most were at wide open, but a very few at f/4. The difference is noticeable.

I took a lot of pictures and many look much the same. Here are just a few more...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shoots!

Is it possible to make adapter with scrapped altix camera mount (+ PK or M42 adapter)? I've got 6 (4 trioplans and 2 tessars) with altix mount, collecting dust...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that the amazing bokeh from this lens is because of over-correction for spherical abberation. I still understand little of optics compared to many here, but it's a really unique and beautiful effect.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:
Great shoots!

Is it possible to make adapter with scrapped altix camera mount (+ PK or M42 adapter)? I've got 6 (4 trioplans and 2 tessars) with altix mount, collecting dust...

I see little advantage to going through the trouble of removing a mount from an Altix camera since it would then still need to be adapted at the digital camera end. I suppose that approach would allow one adapter to be used for all lenses, but the M42 adapters can be had for less than $10 and require very little adjustment to use the Altix lens. If I acquire more Altix lenses, which is doubtful considering the limited number, I will just dedicate adapters to each.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 1st and last one are really wonderful shots!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Klaus.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:
Great shoots!

the problem using a camera mount is the moving part of it. The mount is a breech lock type, slot the lens in and turn the breech lock on the body. It would be difficult to do, as mechanically it would be quite challenging - at least to me!

Read the first part of this post, the OP had described how he does it.

Basically the Altix FFD is almost exactly the same as M42. All you need to do is file a little of the M42 thread down so the bayonet will slot in, then fix it with glue. Use an M42 adapter for PK. If you are careful the M42 mount will be unaffected and can still be used as normal. My posts showing photos have lost the images and I cant find the originals!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the lens adapted. It seats to the M42 flange, but you can see its diameter is a tad smaller than the threaded siver insert in the M42 adapter. Still, it is a clean adaptation and works very well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I can see where you marked the adapter for the flanges. I use hot glue as I said, you can get coloured hot glue, I use the black when using it on my PK to M42 as there is a very slight gap. A thin bead of blu-tak does the job too

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens too. I got it for $25 with a dusty Praktica a few months ago and just hoped it wasn't busted up. My copy is not mint and does need an internal clean, but the rings are still smooth. One of my favourites, considering it normally sells for at least three figures! It gives very interesting soap bubble bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this lens so much that I have purchased a second Altix version. I will mount the second one with a little extension so that it focuses closer. I will try to get the best balance of close focus and as much distance as it allows. Here are some recent, although on some I didn't hit the focus as well as I would have liked.

Into the sun with some flare...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images! Stunning vibrant colors and great detail, especially given the cropping.

The bokeh in the very first is reminiscent of some shots I've gotten from the Oreston 50/1.8 in bright sunlight at fast shutter speeds.

That last shot is just magical. Love the combination of the bubbly bokeh with the light streaming across.

Congrats on the successful adaption.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are correct, Judy, that the Oreston produces similar bokeh. I have purchased one recently just because of that and look forward to trying it out. Thanks for your comments. The last one, facing the sun, did provide some flare as you noticed, but seemed to be too subtle. I would have preferred a more pronounced ray or none at all, but do appreciate your comment. I think I just missed the focus as well.