Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 5.6/250 from Agiflite aerial camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It rained all day today and was terribly dark and gray so I spent some time figuring out a temporary mount solution. In the end I used an empty tin that once contained minced beef, an M42-A mount adapter, some epoxy putty, a piece of sticky-backed black flock material and lots of black electrician's tape.

Even in the terrible light conditions, the lens performs very well, this was wide open, 1/200 sec, ISO 400, I had to turn up the brightness a tad in Photoshop, but otherwise, no PP.

we need pictures Ian...... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 looks great

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, I'll take a picture of my temporary mount solution tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job, Ian. I wish I could buy a $29 "paperweight" that took such great shots... Wink

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It rained all day today and was terribly dark and gray so I spent some time figuring out a temporary mount solution. In the end I used an empty tin that once contained minced beef, an M42-A mount adapter, some epoxy putty, a piece of sticky-backed black flock material and lots of black electrician's tape.

Even in the terrible light conditions, the lens performs very well, this was wide open, 1/200 sec, ISO 400, I had to turn up the brightness a tad in Photoshop, but otherwise, no PP.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Sadly, 29ukp is not going to be the final cost because I'm going to have to pay t have it properly mounted in a helicoid; however, I feel it will be worth every penny.

We had sunshine today so I made a few more test shots. Focus is a bit tricky with my improvised mount, but the lens is superb, sharp as anything I have ever shot, contrast and colours and first rate, minimal CA, I love it.

100% crop:

100% crop:

#4 Into the sun, but no flare,no loss of contrast

100% crop: one of the three or four shots out of about 25 that exhibit some CA

#7 Into the sun again, still no flare or loss of contrast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good ! Congrats on your bargain. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a very capable lens, lets see what it does in "real photography"!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, might have to wait until it is properly mounted in a helicoid before doing any 'real' work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me know the diameter Ian, I have a huge old Sun zoom here that could be cannibalized.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I shall measure it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took pictures of the adaptation, but for some reason, my PC is refusing to recognise the sd card, grrrr.

Here's some shots I made with the sonnar just before sunset yesterday:

#2 After some processing with silver EFEX

100% crop:

100% crop:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive results Ian!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Klaus. However, it now makes me feel I need to upgrade all of my lenses to T*and that is an expensive proposition.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main problems I have is that most of my best and most favoured lenses don't fit my new a850, particularly my Hexanons as I have almost all of them and some of them like the 4/21, 2.8/24, 2.8/35, 1.4/57, 1.7/50, 3.2/135, 3.5/200 are really great, not quite T* quality but not far off. The manual lenses I do have that fit the a850 have proved a mixed bag, some do well on this camera, some not so good. My Schneider DKL lenses are all sharp on the a850, the Curtagon 2.8/35, Tele-Xenar 4/135 and Xenon 1.9/50 are all really nice with vintage character, the Tele-Arton 4/90 and Xenar 2.8/50 are still sharp but haven't managed to grab my heart (yet). The M42 lenses I have have been much more varied, some that were good to very good on my NEX-3 have been unsatisfactory on the a850, often the corner/edge performance is poor, such as the Sankors 3.5/28, 2.8/35 and 3.5/200, but the Sankor 2.5/105 is fine. My Meyers - Primagon 4.5/35 and Primotar 3.5/50 are not as good on the a850 as the NEX-3. The two M42 lenses that have impressed me are the CZJ Pancolar MC 1.8/50 and Mamiya-Sekor SX 2.8/28.

Anyways, my plan is to sell off all the lenses that don't win a place in my heart and replace them with T*.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, good-old Zeissness! Seems to be a capable lens, have fun with it! (And post more pics .) Very Happy