Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Front lens group of a Vivitar 85-205/3:8 Auto Tele-zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Front lens group of a Vivitar 85-205/3:8 Auto Tele-zoom Reply with quote

This lens has fungus in the back glass,I have opened it from the front as I am using it as a lens to learn on.I am just posting the front glass that falls out after you unscrew the front name ring. I did have to tease these elements out as there was nothing holding them in,meaning no retaining rings?

There are 3 Glass elements 2 at the front then a beveled spacer and a smaller piece of glass at the rear. I am not totally sure they should have fallen out like that...as I am only learning I can only guess it's how this lens is put together. I am also posting to help others see what the elements look like.
#1 The lenses are facing in their correct postion face down onto the cloth.

#2 glue on the front two elements?

#3 The small spacer beveled edge was facing onto the front two elements...it did not seem like it was holding anything in place though?

#4 The smaller of the three elements, sat behind the spacer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the optical diagram for the all black version here https://flic.kr/p/bxjeok

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calvin,you are a wealth of knowledge especially for things on the net.
Here's the lens minus the mount which I have removed....M42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mo. It is always a good idea to check if there are information on the web before disassembling the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a diagram help in knowing where to start when pulling apart a lens? Especially if the fungus is in the middle or back part of the lens. I pulled the front off this one as I wanted to test out my new lens spanner... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did have to tease these elements out as there was nothing holding them in,meaning no retaining rings?

A useful tool for lifting the individual elements out is a simple suction cup that is used for hanging ornaments in windows. I't's a bit less chaotic than tipping the lens up and shaking it until the bits drop out. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props, Mo. Ya got guts disassembling a zoom! I've all but given up on those darn things.

Course the basis for my disillusionment is glue. I hit too many glued lenses. I can deal with the other stuff, but reaching down deep into one of those zooms to apply solvent, in just the right place, was beyond me.

Did you not run into any glue, or did you just grit your teeth and muscle through any you might have encountered? Except for glue, I still think working on zooms would be doable. But glue sucks. And so do the solvents one needs to deal with it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean by how hard these zooms are,I am quite good at the dissembly not so good at the reassembly.. Embarassed I have not come across glue but "hidden" retaining rings (not sure what you call them) that you have to unscrew...There's one in the Soligor 70-235.

Lloydy I did not use the shake method, just the tip of a pen to lever them out,then flip and hey presto they are on the table/cloth...not delicately mind you, so I do need that suction tool. I am looking for one of those tools, but need a name to look for and where to look for it.
I don't have the technical skills or background really to be doing this, but wish to clean my lenses as best I can with what I have.At the moment I don't have the spare money to send them off to be cleaned and I hate seeing my newer lenses consumed by fungus.

These zooms are my testing lenses, if I can at least get familiar with how they work internally I may be confident to clean my more treasured lenses. I don't have any dud 50s to practice on, only these zooms with issues.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Suction-Cups-with-Hooks/product_395791

I use these Mo, I bent the wire hook to make it easier to grip and they work just fine. Any craft shop should have them

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lloydy,I saw Jesitos one in this repair section, but those should do nicely.It takes time building up the complete tool set.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update,found the perfect cheap solution to the suction device problem...a NERF bullet...with the little suction cap not the hard rounded end Laughing It does the job perfectly so far. I got to love my husband when I asked him to think out side the box, and he came up with the nerf bullet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Just an update,found the perfect cheap solution to the suction device problem...a NERF bullet...with the little suction cap not the hard rounded end Laughing It does the job perfectly so far. I got to love my husband when I asked him to think out side the box, and he came up with the nerf bullet.

Brilliant! My son has one of those guns, I must steal one of his bullets. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blob of blu-tak is also good for removing elements if you don't have a sucker.