Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Close-up photography with a CZJ Biometar 80mm F2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Close-up photography with a CZJ Biometar 80mm F2.8 Reply with quote

This afternoon I played a bit with one of my zebra Biometars 80mm F2.8, which are an inheritance from my Pentacon Six system. The Biometar 80mm F2.8 is a well known lens, but is not so popular for several reasons. For example, many people that would give an arm and a leg to have an Pancolar 85mm F1.8, passes away the Biometar 80mm F2.8 because they consider the Biometar a "slow" lens. Last but not least, the Biometar 80mm F2.8 is not a very expensive lens, but it's certainly not cheap. People prefer buy twenty $10 lens than one that costs $200... Laughing

As I said elsewhere, I have four copies of Biometar CZJ 80mm F2.8. In principle I do not like having multiple copies of the same lens, but three were the standard lenses of my Pentacon Six TL cameras. The fourth Biometar was a gift from an old photographer who was retiring; it is the older version with leather in the focusing ring. For some reason, this lens does not perform as well as the others, especially wide open. Nonetheless, after F5.6 the performance tends to be more or less equal to the other lenses. Two of Biometars accompanying my Pentacon Six are zebra version; the other is the newest MC version with knurled focusing ring.

Except for the first two pictures, all the others were taken using achromatic close-up lenses of 1.6 and 4 diopters. I did not record the apertures used, but I remember they were between F8 and F11 for most pictures. To evaluate sharpness, I also show the 100% crops. If the full images were shown on a scale of 100%, they would have a width of more than 2 meters.

Picture 1:

Picture 1 - 100% crop:

Picture 2:

Picture 3:

Picture 3 - 100% crop:

Picture 4:

Picture 4 - 100% crop:

Picture 5:

Picture 5 - 100% crop:

Picture 6:

Picture 6 - 100% crop:

Picture 7:

Picture 7 - 100% crop:

Picture 8:

Picture 8 - 100% crop:

Picture 9:

Picture 9 - 100% crop:

Picture 10:

Picture 10 - 100% crop:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite impressive!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus,

It's a great compliment coming from someone with so much knowledge about macro-photography. Smile

Do you like barbecue on Sundays?
Here's a suggestion for a special BBQ for electrical engineers! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite nice performance! Thaks for sharing it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mark!

Below the picture of "triple zebra" CZJ Biometar 80mm F2.8. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biometar 80mm plus Sigma 1.6 diopter achromatic close-up lens. F11 6s.

Blue Flames:

EDITED: