Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele-Takumar 400mm/5.6f M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Tele-Takumar 400mm/5.6f M42 Reply with quote

Got an offer to buy a Tele-Takumar 400mm/5.6f M42, anyone got any good examples of the quality? How much should I pay for one, roughly? There is no way I can go try it before I buy, because of huge distances.

Grateful for advice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!
I hava a Pentax smc M 200/4. It is very good. The 400/5.6 is rare and expensive. A 300mm pentacon is cheaper (about 50-100€) and also very good. I don´t know the price (I find two offers about 150€ and 450€).

If you wan´t this lense, 150€ is a good price, I think.

regard´s Peter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good opinion only from SMC and Super Takumar lenses. I have Tele-Takumar 200mm lens so crap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the condition of the lens?
See some prices here

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The condition is B classed which is "excellent". And the price is about 160€. Can't find any good examples on the web at all :/

This is the only pictures I've seen, but babelfish bails on me, so I have no clue what it says : Examples

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no examples means rather crap than good one, in this price range I suggest to take a Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO instead.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a little bit of info here:
http://www.aohc.it/tak05e.htm
I thought from Attila's remarks this was one of those crappy non-SMC lenses, but in fact it's an early Takumar before SMC. An SMC version was released later, but it looks like the optical formula remained the same. I expect it will probably be very solid and well built and pretty good optically, although at f5.6 and non-coated it will be quite dim in the v/finder and difficult to avoid shake due to the slow shutter speed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I expect it will probably be very solid and well built and pretty good optically, although at f5.6 and non-coated it will be quite dim in the v/finder and difficult to avoid shake due to the slow shutter speed.

You think it will be too dim for the focus validation of a K10D and I got stabilization in the house, so that should help a bit. But at 1.3kg I guess Tripod will most likely be used Smile.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it, I'll get back to you with pictures when it arrives Wink. Also got a super-tak 135/3.5.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck mate! I hope you will satisfied. My Tele-Takumar 200mm a really crap lens.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Good luck mate! I hope you will satisfied. My Tele-Takumar 200mm a really crap lens.

*chuckle*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with 400mm f/6.3 or 300/5.5/5.6 and a Pentax K100D, which should be the same as K10D. I have two 500's, two 400's, and three 300's, all old and slow, with the same results for all of them.

Focus confirm seems to work well down to f/8, and sometimes to f/11

The viewfinder is quite bright even at f/8, because the viewfinder screens of this series are not really ground-glass. They pass a lot more light, at the cost of making them poor at judging focus, so you are really depending (too much) on the focus confirm. Focusing is a much bigger problem than shaking. I often focus at f/5.5/5.6/6.3 and stop down to shoot.

Long, slow lenses are very usable hand-held on the Pentax because of the IS, down to maybe 1/200 with 400mm. Maybe less if you brace your body and time your breath (like shooting a rifle). I have done 1/90 or so with a 300mm hand-held. This means you can easily go down to f/16 or even less handheld in sunlight. At 1/500 or better you have no worries at all. You can snap-shoot.