Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Super-Takumar 35mm F2 v1 on NEX 5N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Pentax Super-Takumar 35mm F2 v1 on NEX 5N Reply with quote

This lens is the successor of the Auto-Takumar 2.3/35. The copy I used here is the first version with 67mm filter threads with MFD of 0.45m. Here is the description from the manual of Pentax Spotmatic:

Quote:
One of the fastest wide-angle lenses for 35mm single-lens reflex cameras. Edge-to-edge sharp resolution at full aperture; unique lens design without distortion; perfect for architectural photography.

The result on my NEX 5N is with aps-c sized sensor is consistent with the description from Pentax. At F2, Sharpness is good at corner of my 5N although the lens suffers from aberrations. It became pretty sharp from F2.8. Distortion is not noticeable on my camera. For color and bokeh, please refer to the photos below.

Like many old single coated wide angle with large front element, this lens does suffer from flare and ghosting. The first two photos were designed to show the flare and ghosting.

All my photos posted in this section are processed with the same way with minimal among of processing. Please click the photo for larger size.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to my eyes, not a lens I've come across I'll have to keep an eye out for one Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens, and I have a kind of love/hate relationship with it.
It can be sharp, with amazing character, great colors and good bokeh, but it's just quite difficult to consistently exploit its potential - for me at least.
The results you posted here are great, and made me want go out and shoot with it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tak's rule !!! Smile love them all, great lens for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments! I am happy that the photos can show the strength of this lens. Very Happy

@Aanything
It take me sometime to know the character of this lens. Unlike the Tak 3.5/35, this lens is not an all-rounder because of weight and flare resistance. If you can live with weaknesses, you should be able to exploit its potential.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you ever compared it to the second version with the 49mm filter threads? with and without smc?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
have you ever compared it to the second version with the 49mm filter threads? with and without smc?

This is the only Pentax lens I have. From the information I know, the later 49mm version have better sharpness in the center but the edge sharpness is not as good as the v1 on most settings. Many v2 have yellow tint on the rear element group. I think most people will go for v2 with SMC because it is much lighter than v1(~250g vs ~400g) and have better flare resistant. v1 is a better choice for those who don't mind the weight and flare problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice results. I like the flares.

I never try this lens, but I have the pentax K smc 35/2 ~300g which i consider as heavy.
The K 35/2 has some less flare and fairly good micro contrast. A fast 35 from pentax is relatively hard to get here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one myself; my father in law gave me a couple of nice Takumars. He used to shoot pictures of my wife with it when she was still a baby.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look that it handles bokeh quite nicely. Must be pretty good. Hard to find some competitor in such group. On my mind comes maybe Mir 35/2 but don't know that glass.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. This is a nice lens if you know it it behaves.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small unique lens indeed!