Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 2.9/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 2.9/50 Reply with quote

This is one of several lenses I just got. It came with an Altix camera and appears as new. I have not yet fitted the lens to an adapter, so when I went out to give it a try, I had to hold it up to one of my adapters. It was very awkward, I couldn't focus, and had all I could do to keep it from tilting. I had to focus with my feet. Not an ideal situation. I didn't expect a lot other than the bokeh rings characteristic of Trioplan lenses, and that is why I purchased it. To my surprise, and delight, this proves to be a very good lens. It's is very well built, quite attractive, and much sharper than I had anticipated. I can tell now that I will be using this lens a lot.

All taken with NEX-5N and wide open f/2.9 Some images have been cropped more than others.

Last edited by woodrim on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:30 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the lens? You haven't entered anything in the subject box for your post. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very odd. I keep entering the subject, but it does not appear in the posting.
Meyer Optik Görlitz Trioplan 50mm f/2.9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having troubles with some special chatacters on the forum recently: sometimes when I use some of them - such as the o with umlaut - the post comes out blank.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was weird. I had done a copy and paste to the subject field, but after posting it would not show up. When I typed it over, it worked. The only different was that in the copy/paste version I had used the special character ö.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
I'm having troubles with some special chatacters on the forum recently: sometimes when I use some of them - such as the o with umlaut - the post comes out blank.

Okay, I was typing when you posted. That must be it. I had a whole post text disappear once when I used a link within in. Took the link out and it worked.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Great Oriental style, congrats!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feet focusing technique although awkward produces the results. Very Happy until you can get the right adapter of course. I have often wondered how this Trioplan 50 performs,I see more 50s for reasonable prices than actually seeing a 100mm for sale at any price.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Laughing Great Oriental style, congrats!!

+1.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the first 3 images.. Very nice!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice shots! Glad you bought a nice copy of this lens.
I still haven't achieved this background effect with my Trioplan, I need to learn the technique.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila, Mo, and Calvin.

carliniphoto wrote:
I really like the first 3 images.. Very nice!!

Thank you. There are several pictures that I take with most every lens I get when first testing. I do that so that I'll have comparison images, and also because of the nature of the image. In this case, I wanted to create the bokeh rings, but also test for CA. The second and sixth pictures are torture tests. The Spanish moss test sharpness (where in focus) and CA. Many lenses have difficulty with the moss, but this lens did remarkably well. The blue of the flowers causes blue fringing from most lenses, including this one, but not terribly bad. Photo four resulted with the subject leaves lost in the bubbles, but it displayed the bokeh rings so well I included it. Photo three was a recreation of a shot I had taken with my new Domiplan; I wanted to see the comparison. While the time of day was different and thus, the lighting, it does show a difference in the lenses. Here is the Domiplan for comparison:

The Domiplan was properly mounted in an M42 adapter and the shot was at minimum focus or near. The Trioplan shot at minimum focus was closer, but probably because I was holding it against an M42 adapter and it was a couple of MM off, providing for a closer focus.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
I still haven't achieved this background effect with my Trioplan, I need to learn the technique.

The technique is a combination of factors. First, you have to find the bright spots in the background. Sun glistening on water is one, but in this and most cases, it is sunlight or just brighter background peeking through the background foliage. Factors can be different with a longer lens, but with a short focal length, it is important to get up close to the subject. I was at minimum distance or close to it. Then the rest is a combination of distance to bright spots and their size. Best results come from wide open.

This picture is an entire uncropped image. It shows the environment where I was shooting, but farther back. I had focused on the red leaf in the center. The picture is purely test. I was pleased to see the swirling at the edges. It also shows you how the bokeh circles shrink as your focus gets longer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
uddhava wrote:

The technique is a combination of factors. First, you have to find the bright spots in the background. Sun glistening on water is one, but in this and most cases, it is sunlight or just brighter background peeking through the background foliage. Factors can be different with a longer lens, but with a short focal length, it is important to get up close to the subject. I was at minimum distance or close to it. Then the rest is a combination of distance to bright spots and their size. Best results come from wide open.

This picture is an entire uncropped image. It shows the environment where I was shooting, but farther back. I had focused on the red leaf in the center. The picture is purely test. I was pleased to see the swirling at the edges. It also shows you how the bokeh circles shrink as your focus gets longer.

Thank you for the explanation, I will have to give it a try.....Well had a hard time getting the focus right, but it's a beginning. Thanks!Smile