Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to make the worlds most collectible lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: ancillaries Reply with quote

Any proper manufacturer needs ancillaries.

* Sunshade: collapsible metal flaps. r 48,3mm

* Filters will of course not have 48,3mm threads, but are unified 73,8mm types, since one hopes to launch a fast long-focus optic commemorating Kilfitt Pan-Kilar.

Unfortunately the production of the sought after green filters for orthochomatic films will take some time, and the conversion rings will only be made after the whole set is finished.Orders have to be pre-paid and will be fulfilled in strict order.

* lens caps will be made available as appropriate, but the factory hopes that you will understand that since they will ONLY be made to fit the later optics, you will have to buy the 48,3mm to 73,8mm conversion ring in order to use them. The rear cap will fil the standard Korelle mount.

Those who insist on unique collectors pieces can pay a deposit for the Farawaystan jubilee versions. They will be delivered in time for the jubilee (2025).

p.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The project is almost ready.
Let's post it on the Kickstarter site. I bet we'll get a lot of backers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about special highly-reflecting-mirror-like coating on the front lens as a feature that enables users to improve their shooting 'selfies' skills. Also on the focusing dial there should be point along meters and inches decribed as "H" (as for hand), which would be perfect for such lomo-self-shooting enthusiast (somewhere around 70cm)

My other idea is to engrave the price tag on the front ring so everybody could see how much buyer paid for such collectible item. Also it should be in some fancy currency, not €, $ or £ (that would be ridiculously common). Anyone recall what currency was in use in the ancient Egypt or even better, Pompei or maybe Atlantis?

If lens would be offered in different mounts, I think that Leica mount should have at least x1.5 price than others (to ensure proper Leica-quality of mount of course).

As for German city, what about: Königsbrück ("ö" and "ü" in one name!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Köningbrück is excellent ...

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two umlauts will improve our quality control tremendously !
Königsbrück it is. We will have to relay the disappointing news to Mönchengladbach.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
The lens body will be guaranteed hand polished for at least 3 hours.

By an albino pygmy from Bolivia who is somehow a blood cousin of Henri Cartier-Bresson's granddaughter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
If lens would be offered in different mounts, I think that Leica mount should have at least x1.5 price than others (to ensure proper Leica-quality of mount of course).

That's dangerous. If if the price is not minimum 10x, as usually, Leica will sue us for unfair competition and the Leica fans will boycott us.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got to be quick. Seems that someone is already working on these ideas. Smile

http://shop.lomography.com/us/lenses/art-lenses

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamera wrote:
You got to be quick. Seems that someone is already working on these ideas. Smile

http://shop.lomography.com/us/lenses/art-lenses

There's a mole among us. This will not be pretty.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lomo petzvals are an interesting idea, but they of course have the fatal flaw of being technologically backward.
Critical technical deficiencies include not having a proper German name, first and last, a German town, absolutely no umlauts, and of course a dismaying shortage of knobs. A first effort for sure, but it is so easy to see what they could have done better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recipe for the ultimate collectible lens: Idea

1) Buy this lens: Shocked
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Canada-f-Leica-R-5-600-mm-Apo-Telyt-Prototype-Unicum-lens-/371129968863?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566911e8df

2) Then build 1000 absolutely identical copies . Cool

3) Go back to eBay as a seller and list the lens as a prototype that were missing, and that you are now selling for half the price. Laughing

4) Repeat 3) 1000 times Razz

Note: if anyone finds out that they were copies, you can always claim that they are absolutely identical to the original. Why would anyone complain? Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, you're a talented writer as well as photographer! Smile

If you want more knobs, how about a tripod mount as an optional accessory? But not just any old mount. The standard version
has horizontal and vertical azimuth circles (each with its own magnifying viewfinder, clamp knob and fine adjustment screw), three
levelling screws and two bubbles, and a sliding base and clamp knob for precise GPS positioning. The super version additionally has a
computerised star-tracking equatorial mount, XYZ co-ordinate recording in DXF format, and an optional bolt-on finder scope.

It should have an Italian name ending in O - Galileo possibly? Sorry there's no umlauts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens sounds interesting Luis, but I am holding out for the Varisoft version.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the lens will be varisoft !
This feature will be implemented in our internal plastic mechanism. It is very easy to do and really doesn't require tight tolerances.
And it is designed specifically as a soft focus lens anyway.
Because of our use of plastic lenses, colorful coating(CCtm), manufacturing quality control depending on umlauts, lowest_bidder module in our Six Sigma management QC process, I think we can guarantee that we will achieve excellent soft focus performance and highly variable between copies as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol @ umlats and colorful coating. This thread has been killing me. Instead of "Varisoft" which is probably still trademarked somewhere. I propose we use the word "Verysoft" to describe the "look" produced by this optical and marketing masterpiece.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest that to strengthen the mount, we use the proprietary method I have developed using Fußgängerübergangsmörtel? Beyond providing weather sealing and drop protection, we could print Hergestellt mit Fußgängerübergangsmörtel around the chrome ring on the bottom, adding three umlauts to the optical formula.

Last edited by kenetik on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
"...adding three umlauts to the optical formula."

You made my day Very Happy

/This thread is absolutely fantastic to read and your professional approach Luis is extraordinary Very Happy, thank you for such excellent piece of positive attitude every day/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: risk of becoming too useful Reply with quote

I note that the tripod mount should have GPS functionality (albeit of course the old Leitz large diametre thread) . This risks alienating the type of collector one tries to attract. They will of course want hypermodern stuff, but not as part of the pseudo-retro lens.

All the exceedingly useful and interesting conveniences should be extra equipment. Some in the pipeline should be:
* always-on Wi-Fi immediately transmitting all images to all relevant social media,
* face recognition software
* smile-triggered 10fps. exposures

This, however is just aping existing fesatures from other advanced makers. More innovative and effort saving pioneering breaktrhoughs will include:
* automatic blackouts for portraits where the nail polish is showing signs of flaking
* automatic 8 hr. blackout for health and safety reasons if the photographer is deemed to be tired-
Other software will be developed for markets with peculiar needs of censorship, but such features will have to be discussed in closed fora.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: risk of becoming too useful Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:

* automatic blackouts for portraits where the nail polish is showing signs of flaking
* automatic 8 hr. blackout for health and safety reasons if the photographer is deemed to be tired-
p.

Can't comment on the first, but it sounds good.
Regarding the second: The camera should have finger print recognition, biometric sensors to know more about the user Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to Luis list: option #5 is the best.
With tilt/shift. I will add also a swing and rise movement.
You know, just to have 'em all.