Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach Retina Xenon 1.9/50 on Sony a850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach Retina Xenon 1.9/50 on Sony a850 Reply with quote

I really like this lens, it has a unique character, sharp at all apertures, but it's the character that draws me to it. All wide open except for last two which were f11.

#19 - two shots stitched

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

full with character indeed, congrats!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, it will get much more use in future, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horse portrait is excellent! Which version you are using? I guess it is the early version with 58mm filter. The later 52mm version is a bit sharper but with less character on the early version. I think the Xenon is the most balance one 1.9/50 among the three Retina 1.9/50s.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the one with the 0.9m mfd, which I think is the first one. I think it's 58mm, I'll have to check.

What are the three 1.9/50s?

Xenon 1.9/50
Quinon 1.9/50
Heligon 1.9/50

The one I want to try is the Septon 2/50 but it's not cheap. This Xenon was 16ukp with a slight dent to the filter threads but otherwise great.

The Rodenstock DKL lenses I almost never see for sale, sadly, the only one I see from time to time is the Rotelar 4/135.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The 0.9m version is the one with 58mm filter. The Septon is the sharpest of all Retina 50s thanks to its advanced design with an extra element in the front groups. If you are looking for one, make sure you check for separation as it is common in the early 0.9m Septon. All Rodenstock and Steinheil lenses are expensive because of the low production volume and high demand. You can compare samples on my Flickr to know more about the difference of Xenon(0.6m), Quinon and Heligon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series, some of them even feels a bit 3D to me!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set Ian, I think this is first time I see you like to shot at wide open Smile
I have this lens in exakta mount. lovely indeed. But if I can find DKL mount in similar price you got, I will grab it fast LOL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice shots Ian, the lens certainly does have a character - which you've exploited nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
Nice set Ian, I think this is first time I see you like to shot at wide open Smile

Very Happy
Very nice set.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set Ian. #8, 16 and 17 are great. I have the Quinon and also the Septon. At the moment my DKL NEX adapter is broken so sadly can't use it properly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. It's not often I shoot wide open, but this Xenon had such a nice character it had to be explored. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers guys. It's not often I shoot wide open, but this Xenon had such a nice character it had to be explored. :)

Great results, that Xenon is on my wishlist from a long time - I bought the dkl adapter specifically for it, and then I never got one.
Are you happy with your new camera?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm very happy with the a850, not a single complaint so far. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results Ian, compliments!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yes, I'm very happy with the a850, not a single complaint so far. Smile

Very nice photos Ian and I am glad to hear you like your new camera, I was waiting with interest to see photos from it. Looks like a great lens and you used it well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I have to say - the a850 suits how I like to shoot, which is an important thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are enjoying the wonderful Sony cameras, the 850 and 900 are classics and you are using them really well, this is some of your best work yet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is great, but the camera and photographer played their role too Wink.
A850 was one of my favourite FF cameras, even having more advanced cameras today I still miss it, very special color and tonality.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenons are amazing lenses. I have them in Retina & Retina C versions

I also have them in all the styles and mounts, AKA, Diax, Exakta, M42 etc

I also have a collection of Cine Xenons in various FLs

You cant go wrong with a Xenon. For me its one of the lenses which define the vintage look.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice series, you're doing great work with FF Ian. I agree the 850 is a fantastic camera. I had an a900 for about a week. I got it brand new for $1400 at the Sony Store. This fantastic deal (at the time, still not bad for a brand new one) did not seem like such an amazing bargain to my S.O., so I took it back. Broke my heart!

I have an A7 and while I like the flexibility of mirrorless, I think the a850/900 outclass it in the daylight (night time is another story).

Sorry to digress, excellent shots!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
...I think the a850/900 outclass it in the daylight (night time is another story).

that's the reason why I still didn't sold my A900.. up to ISO400 I prefer the results of the A900/850