Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why voigtlander nokton 35mm 1.4 get 2 iris blade?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Why voigtlander nokton 35mm 1.4 get 2 iris blade? Reply with quote

Hello

I get a voigtlander nokton 35mm 1.4 and i notice that there is two iris blade inside :

Any one know why they build it with this 2 iris blade?
Best regards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s just an "L" shape of the iris blades Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, I have made the same mistake before on a different lens.... open and close the blades and you will see the L shape.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thank You.

I'm curious to see how it is inside

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is process lens with dual diaphragm:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The STF have two sets of blades too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios 103 appears to have to sets of iris blades. Lloydy posted a video some time back. I think its the shape of the blades.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blades come in a verity of shapes.

Images From google image search.
There are usually 2 tabs on a blade, 1 is in a fixed position, the other is moved via a ring with typically a slot for the other tab to fit in.
This is what most 3-9 blade aperture blades look like.

All of which look like this on one side.

And like this on the other.

High blade count apertures 14-20+

Look like this when taken apart, putting it back together is a big pain in the butt.

This is close to what the double aperture blade looks like that the OP was asking about.

The dual iris of the STF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fantastic nerdy pics on this thread. Really interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for showing these blades in their unnatural state,looks like a jigsaw puzzle you don't want to mess with!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mir-1A has 2 set of diaph too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6j6QX_wfXw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Thank you for showing these blades in their unnatural state,looks like a jigsaw puzzle you don't want to mess with!

Not if you don't have to, but it can be done, as I have taken 2 apart to clean the oil out before the optics became contaminated, it's quite easy till they start to overlap, then the trick is to keep the ones that are done in their proper locations as you add new ones under them to their proper locations, once that's done, it's just a matter of joining the aperture to the lens body and having everything lined up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken apart and successfully put back together my Topcor R 135/3.5 which has 12 'L' shaped blades,
and my Carsen 135/2.8 has 15 blade 'C' type.
The 'L' type seem to be an attempt at getting a rounder small aperture.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some apertures from lenses that were pulled apart because they were already broken when bought.I will practice on these and see if I can put them back together. I am waiting on a lens spanner that seems to be taking forever to get here,I hope it comes next week.