Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this fungus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Is this fungus? Reply with quote

This is a Canon FD 55mm 1.2 s.s.c. that I got online recently. The seller said "no fungus" but I'm not convinced. What do you think? Click to expand.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fungus + cleaning marks. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say yes, similar to the way the fungus structure grows that I've seen. normally quite easy to clean but you can't tell what damage it has done to the coatings until you try.

send it back if you can or get a discount if you're willing to risk and and see after a cleaning what condition its in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely fungus, that "organic" look is a good indication. This doesn´t necessarily mean anything in terms of image quality, but should be grounds for getting some money back. I´ve cleaned several fungus-infected lenses, and they generally come out fine. There can be permanent etching though. If you do decide to take it apart for cleaning, make sure to clean the lens surface directly facing the infected one, as that one most likely also has some spores on it.

Also, I would advice against using toxic/harmful chemicals (ammonia, hydrogen peroxide and so on). They are often suggested under the assumption that the fungus must be killed in order to be removed, which is not true. I use 70 % ethanol, which i let the lens soak in for a while. This usually softens/dissolves the fungus so that it can be wiped off. If the fungus happens to still be alive on the tissue that I throw in the trash, then so be it...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that is fungus, and the selles is blain Shocked
I don no tunderstand how in a F1.2 lens on ebay, people is trying to cheat some one.... Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately fungus, cracking lens tho, personally I would get a part refund and get it professionally cleaned with the proceeds!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response guys; I have asked to return the lens. Sad

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.