Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Takumar 28mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Super-Takumar 28mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Using my Takumar 28 3.5 today I noticed it's very soft at infinite at f3.5 but it's much sharper at about f8 (looks good in fact). I'm no expert in optics but it looks too soft. Perhaps it worth mentioning that it looks good at short distances, thats what makes me wonder. I've used other glass at infinity with the same camera + adapter setup without problems.

Took this with my EOS 5Dc at infinity - 100% crop at f3.5. The fence is about 15-20 meters away. Is that normal behavior?

[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah......I think it should be better than that. It's not a perfect lens wide open, and I rarely use mine wide open. Show us some shots stopped down a couple of stops, and some uncropped.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too rare problem with Takumars (and many others too) is the optical block may have slipped and is no longer quite reaching infinity.
A bit of adjustment may fix this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Got some uncropped pics too. Sorry about the quality of them, just did some dumb shots wile going to the store - noticing the problem during the trip. Could take new pictures but dont know if it would help.

Would a 28mm be more sensitive to a faulty adapter than a 50 or 100mm lens?

anyway

http://www.likstoff.se/bilder/f35.jpg uncropped f3.5 close up
http://www.likstoff.se/bilder/f35b.jpg f3.5 from car window. looks sharper closer to car.
http://www.likstoff.se/bilder/f8.jpg f8 at infinity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe.
Wide angles have very small focus travel and tend to be factory adjusted to be spot on at infinity. There is no leeway.
A bit off on the adapter and its noticeable at infinity.
You could stop down of course, that will extend DOF and make the infinity results acceptable.

Long lenses/telephotos are different.
If I had a $ for every long focus/telephoto lens I have seen that focuses beyond infinity, well, I could buy a pretty nice lens! That makes a lot of adapter problems moot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might not be much wrong with your lens.
100% crop @ f3.5 doesn't look much good on my copy either.
By f8 - everything is fine.
Realistically, no one shoots distance shots on these lenses wide open as it is not what they were designed for.
Here are a couple of snaps to illustrate.
First two at f3.5 and next two at f8. The second each time is a near 100% crop.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 5Dc mirror hits this lens when infinity focus. So I think adapter might be a little too thick. As Luis says, wide angle lenses are more sensitive to accuracy of adapter thickness.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which 28/3.5 do you have, Early 55mm filter or the later 49mm?
This is my Early 28/3.5 on 1DIII, My later S-M-C 28/3.5 is much sharper.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Early 55mm Super-Takumar
OH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers! Will update if I find something new.

I think it's the early version, f22 and looks like 55mm filter, cant measure it now.

visualopsins wrote:
My 5Dc mirror hits this lens when infinity focus. So I think adapter might be a little too thick. As Luis says, wide angle lenses are more sensitive to accuracy of adapter thickness.

It did hit the mirror before I showed the mirror what a diamond file can do. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

It's actually 58mm not 55

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another old thread brought back to life Very Happy

I always found the later SMC lenses to be better; this may just have been because of the coatings though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Another old thread brought back to life Very Happy

I always found the later SMC lenses to be better; this may just have been because of the coatings though.

The second version is better behaved, but I wanted to see what the bad behavior of this one was like. Bokeh is certainly more interesting.

Prickleh by The lens profile, on Flickr

They are very different lenses so worth having both.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Both, yes! Super-Multi-Coating and SMC do increase contrast and flare reduction.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there is anything bad about a lens; it's more about its character.