Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mounting EF lenses on old m42 mount camera (Praktica MTL3)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Mounting EF lenses on old m42 mount camera (Praktica MTL3) Reply with quote

Hi,

I inherited an old praktica MTL3, and am enjoying playing with film (despite my age, i never got into photography until the digital age).

However, i have a lot of fantastic Canon glass, and would love to mount it on the praktica MTL3 (MF only of course and no Aperture control or IS).

I know i can mount m42 lenses on my EF body, but can i do the reverse? Is there an adapter out there? I guess i might loose infinite focus, but I'm ok with that.

Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks and I hope that this is in the right forum.

John

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is no.

But you could probably find a film Canon to use them on pretty cheaply.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mount diameter is large, aperture is electronic, register distance pretty low these are three problems that make conversions practically impossible to m42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
the mount diameter is large, aperture is electronic, register distance pretty low these are three problems that make conversions practically impossible to m42

His is the old FD mount camera. Not the EOS type.

However reg distance will still be a problem. As will the aperture pins. You could make an adapter using an FD rear lens cap and an M42 reversing ring. I'm not sure if you will have any control over the aperture and because of the pins the adapter would have to be quite thick. I quickly tried my Canon 50mm f1.8 on a Praktica MTL3 body and found the maximum focusing distance (lens set at infinity) to be about 20cm. Not worth it.

As someone else said it may be worth buying an old Canon body. Why the Praktica when you have the EF?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

Why the Praktica when you have the EF?

Look at the thread title Phil - he says EF lenses. My first thought was what Mos6502 suggested - a Canon EOS film body would be the
only practical option.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers... Smile

I'll stick to my EOS camera then... if it was simple, i thought it might have been fun, but since it's not.... oh well! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a nice film EOS camera. These go for very cheap, no more than a few rolls of film worth, and they'll probably be better than the Praktica anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

Why the Praktica when you have the EF?

Look at the thread title Phil - he says EF lenses. My first thought was what Mos6502 suggested - a Canon EOS film body would be the
only practical option.

Thanks Peter Embarassed He did say EF body though in his first post, Canon made an EF in the 70's.

I agree about an EOS body, they can be picked up for less than £10 on ebay or gumtree.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Thanks Peter Embarassed He did say EF body though in his first post, Canon made an EF in the 70's.

No need for that Phil, it was a very easy mistake to make. I'm sorry if I embarrassed you, I thought it could become very confusing if
that line was pursued any further.

How daft of Canon to gave the same name to their AF lenses as they did for an earlier camera model that was incompatible with them! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

No need for that Phil, it was a very easy mistake to make. I'm sorry if I embarrassed you, I thought it could become very confusing if
that line was pursued any further.

How daft of Canon to gave the same name to their AF lenses as they did for an earlier camera model that was incompatible with them! Smile

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

However adhocphotographer wants to play with his 'new' Praktica, so getting another Canon body kind of defeats the object a bit. If he does have the newer lenses the adapter could be considerably shorter as there are no aperture pins in the way. Nor any aperture come to that. A worse scenario than if he was using FD lenses.

Not a good or practical idea adhocphotographer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Canon 400D and precisely two AF lenses for it, the 18-55 kit lens and I think a 28-135 - it's so long since I used them. The
beauty about the EOS/EF mount is that it can accept a wide choice of lenses via adapters, in practical terms anything except Canon FD
and Minolta plus one or two more obscure mounts.

It would be sensible for adhocphotographer to concentrate on building up a collection of M42 lenses to use on the Praktica (and maybe a
Spotmatic later) and then he could use them on the Canon, plus virtually any other camera mount apart from Nikon. And if he's at all like me, the AF lenses will start gathering dust! Smile