Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML vs Zeiss....ML 50/1.7 vs. Planar 50/1.7 C/Y Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML vs Zeiss....ML 50/1.7 vs. Planar 50/1.7 C/Y Mount Reply with quote

I think you'd know all this thread (perhaps) but it's quite interesting....

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1045758

I do love my ML lenses, even i typically prefer Zeiss... Very Happy

Apart from that, the Zeiss 50/1.7 is the cheapest Zeiss for C/Y anyway
i'd think - it's made full of plastic, but the haptics isn't much worse
compared to the better 50/1.4 - i have that lens, too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the Contax 50/1.7 as well as the Yashica ML 50/1.7. Since that FM thread is what lead to me getting the Yashica in the first place, I had to do a comparison myself when I got the Contax 50/1.7 as well. I was quite surprised how similar the bokeh was between the lenses. Even so, they weren't exactly the same. I don't have the samples any longer, but this is what I remember:

- The Contax 50/1.7 had a lead on sharpness at infinity throughout the range.
- Colors were warmer on my Contax 50/1.7 than on my Yashica ML 50/1.7.
- The Contax 50/1.7 was a bit sharper wide open at portrait distances.

The Contax 50/1.7 is made of plastic, at least my copy is. For me, it's a plus. It balances a lot better with my NEX than most of the other MF lenses I use, including the Contax G 45mm. It's a high quality plastic, the helicoid is very smooth, and the aperture ring is just right. It handles a lot better than my all metal Yashica ML 50/1.9. FWIW, I also like the focus feel of my Canon New FD lenses, though the aperture ring leaves something to be desired, especially compared to my Contax 50/1.7.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
i've noticed the same - the zeiss colors are a bit more onto the warm side, than the yashica ml...and the lens is/was a bit sharper at
all apertures. but not that much - as the price difference between contax zeiss and yashica ml lenses in general would suggest - only
neglible into a/b comparsion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ML 50 / 1.7 is a terrific lens, I bought a kit of stuff and one was a part of the kit. I've used it a lot and had great results from it. But I haven't got the Contax so I can't compare them. Although the kit was a Contax RX camera with three Yashica ML lenses, perhaps the owner knew something we don't?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree with Lloydy.. The Yashica ML 50mm 1.7 is probably one of the
best lenses that Yashica put out.. along with its big brother the ML 50mm 1.4...

Ive owned several copies of the ML 1.7 and all were sharp.. I like the colors the
lens produces... Ive never been one for very warm colors.. Heres a few images I took
with the 1.7 on a Canon 50d. I posted these in another thread.. but here they are
again...