Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ferrania is back to live!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Ferrania is back to live!!! Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice !
Thanks for sharing!I have 20 or 30 rolls of Solaris in the fridge , so I can go on shooting .In fact , I didn't tried it yet , but I hope I'll do it soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://believeinfilm.com/stuff/ferrania-rumor-roundup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.filmferrania.it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hoarded ferrania solaris so i have plenty. but this 'scotch reversal' chrome slide film? wow, what the heck is that?
tony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i hoarded ferrania solaris so i have plenty. but this 'scotch reversal' chrome slide film? wow, what the heck is that?
tony

I used 3M slide film in the 70's. Nothing to write home about. Even GAF500 was better. (Scotch is a brand of 3M)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ferrania was the last producer of 126 film. It would be nice to see that film come back.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some 126 cartridges i no longer will use. if you are interested pm me.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news!!!!
Monica will be on holiday from the 8th of this month. I may convince her to make a trip to the coast of Liguria and
"casually" stop at the Ferrania factory for a visit! Very Happy

I have already asked them to make a B&W film as well!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy hey look forward your report!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's so special about Solaris film?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I so hope this is true! I have always preferred shooting slides, and honestly I fear for the future when all I have left to choose from is a couple of different Fuji flavors -- and a questionable Rollei product (Crossbird), which I haven't tried yet.

I have never used the Scotch 100, but I hope it was good stuff.

I am also pleasantly surprised to see that Ferriana plans to offer its film products in so many different formats.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:

Well if you live in the UK, you missed the boat to try it, as Poundland store was selling it for about 6 months and now are just continuing with Agfa Vista. I've used a few rolls in the last year and nothing impressed me to switch from Superia...but then it was only £1 a roll and might not be the same stuff that Ferrania will start to sell.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:

It delivers good contrast and great colour saturation. On the other hand, all speeds except for 100 ISO (200, 400, 800) deliver visible grain.
It is loved by Lomo users for it's bold and "painterly" quality. On the other hand, people who like the clean detail of digital are not going to like it.
I have got good results with Ferrania film:

It also works great as a starting point for digital B&W conversions:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all systems go and they plan to release a new slide film to the market.
They have created a blog page now with updates. Very Happy

http://www.filmferrania.it/blog/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the boot sale I picked up some Lloydspharmacy film expired 2008, well on the box it just said made in the EU. Well the results I got with it were so different using a Minolta 35-70mm f3.5, that I'd buy this film if I knew what it was.
So what was this film? well it's not Solaris as the code number on the neg was different being ND 5625....I'm assuming it's Ferrania as Solaris has two letters and four numbers as well.

All shots with Minolta 35-70mm f3.5 and ND 5625 film

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solaris was made by Ferrania I thought?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Solaris was made by Ferrania I thought?

Indeed but the code on the Solaris neg is NB 1273 and the film I used is ND 5625.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the barcode in a program and it says the film I used was :-

Ferrania Imaging color FG plus 200

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferrania has not made investition in film emulsion research at the time when film was selling well. They sold big volumes of film but choose to sell tehnology 2 decades older as the competition (Fuji, Kodak, maybe Agfa too) at lower prices.
Now tell me where they possibly could get capital for research and produce a new film?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eugen!
That is a bit unfair. Up to the end of production, Ferrania had improved their range and the results you can see above. The latest FG Plus were great films, especially the 100.
The proposed new Ferrania films are to be made at the same factory, but by a different company.
I'll suggest to you to wait and see and, if these news come true, to support them by buying the new films.

Quote:
Now tell me where they possibly could get capital for research and produce a new film?

You'll have to ask Nicola that question. Wink

You can read here an interview with him: http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2013/08/film-news-ferrania-is-back-exclusive-interview/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be quite happy if they have changed it because I didn't like the old rolls I tried, particularly the garish colours, but that could have been due to them being older expired stock.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badly stored and crap development only Ian, none of the fresh film is this poor, sharing this note in a film support topic not too smart Sad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just saying, if they've changed it, that's probably a good thing, more modern technology is surely better. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be they invested in quantity, but for shure not in quality. If they have invested in research, like Fuji and Kodak how comes they never approached the quality of those two?
I remain at my opinion, Ferranias business policy was to deliver film cheaply to the market that needed it, these being drugstores and single use camera producers. They stayed in the marked based on the low price, not based on quality.
It is no wonder they dissapeared first. Their market dissapeared. How many of the people buying cheap film have these days a film camera? How many drugstores sell film?

I will support them, yes. If they convince me it is worth.
I'm a bit tired of this let's support film makers just for the fact that we are happy they still exist. (Same thing with Foma.)
No Sir, I have to earn my money and I prefer to invest it in the product I think suits me (regarding quality, price, personal preferences). My opinion is that if the product does not convince by quality the company will not survive, no matter how much we support it.

If Ferrania brings out 127 film I will look at the price and if it is ok I will buy a considerable amount. If the price is not right (at around 7 EUR/roll I say thank you and bye-bye) tha I will buy 120 and split myself. I also will look at any new slide film they produce. For anything other than these two I have no need at the moment. If they want to sell me soemthing that I can still buy from other producers than they have to convince me. Why should I abandon producers (Fuji especially) that I trust for a producer I know from the past with mixed feelings?