Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ILFORD B&W 50 ISO ... in love
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: ILFORD B&W 50 ISO ... in love Reply with quote

Hi
I have felt in love with this film
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/product.asp?n=5
as I liked how much finely grained is.

ILFORD ISO 400 also looked good on my eyes but many on the shots I looked at had quite a lot of grain...
I was wondering though how easy is to use a 50 iso film outside. I am leaving in Germany and is most of the time cloudy forcing me to use very slow shutter speeds. I am a fast shutter speed maniac though as I found my hands to be quite unsteady and I like to be able to freeze movement. I hand held my camera, as I am trying to catch the different outside (tripod would make me too slow)

There are few thinks though that still are not very clear in my mind
1. When I look at ILFORD ISO 400 shots there are some so finely grained that look very very good as the ISO 50.
2. Is there any other choise in between 400 and 50 that it would be faster but it would not sacrifice fine grain ability?

I would like to thank you for your reply
Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASA 50 does work well outdoors, here's from a roll I took with a 6x9 Bessa folder, a vintage polarizer, and Pan-F + in D-76 one shot.
Southampton Beach by Nesster, on Flickr

For comparison, a 6x9 made with a Graflex SLR and TTH Cooke lens, HP5 + in D-76 one shot.
Mainline Pizzeria by Nesster, on Flickr

Ilford do make FP4 at ASA125; this is a 6x9 with an Agfa Record II, HC-110
scaffold by Nesster, on Flickr

And Delta 100, 6x9 with a Kodak Medalist I, developed in D-76 one shot
Barn, Pennsylvania, November 2010 by Nesster, on Flickr

I realize these are all 120 6x9, rather than 135... but I'm hoping helpful anyway

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot the 50 ISO film at 25 ISO and pull-develop it one stop. You'll love it even more. I'm going to try it at 12 ISO this summer and see how it performs. At 25 ISO, it's my favorite in-production film.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For other Ilford choices, there's Delta 100, which I like to shoot at ISO 50. And I like their 125 okay and have only thus far shot it at 125.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: FP3 Reply with quote

And back in the film days, FP3 and its successor developed in Hyfin were entirely satisfactory.

p.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer.
I am just thinking if an iso 50 would allow to hand held the camera anymore. I leave in Germany where we have all the time very huge clouds. As example at 16:00 in the evening I was shooting with iso 200 at shutter speeds of 1/125 and f/4. I am not sure an iso 50 would allow me to hand held the camera any more...

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Thanks for the answer.
I am just thinking if an iso 50 would allow to hand held the camera anymore. I leave in Germany where we have all the time very huge clouds. As example at 16:00 in the evening I was shooting with iso 200 at shutter speeds of 1/125 and f/4. I am not sure an iso 50 would allow me to hand held the camera any more...

1/30 at f4 or 1/60 at f2.8 is perfectly achievable. In the old days you only had films this slow. Some as slow as 16 ASA they managed.

(ASA/ISO the same. I tend to think of ISO with digital cameras and ASA with film cameras.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Shoot the 50 ISO film at 25 ISO and pull-develop it one stop. You'll love it even more. I'm going to try it at 12 ISO this summer and see how it performs. At 25 ISO, it's my favorite in-production film.

IMHO, unless the light conditions are very flat, Pan F has to be shot at 25 and given compensatory development, otherwise it's too contrasty and loses both highlights and shadow detail. To be honest, I think Pan F is long overdue replacement, it simply isn no better in grain and tonality when shot at 25 and developed accordingly than more modern T grain emulsions like Delta 100 and TMAX 100 are when shot full speed. Acros 100 is the best of the lot, but it's ridiculously expensive. Tech Pan was my favourite, closely followed by Panatomic-X, but sadly both are long discontinued and I have only a little of each left in my fridge. Sad

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in germany, too. Smile sad, but true...nowadays i only shoot digital, and try to get "analogue look" by enhancing some of my pictures with DxO filmpack, or the real grain photoshop plugin. Cool