Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What do you use to clean your glass?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: What do you use to clean your glass? Reply with quote

Windex?
Water?
I have some 98% alcohol, will that harm the glass or coating?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/fs.php?sw=cleaning

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never use strong alcohol on the lens surface, you don't know for sure if it will soften or damage any coating. If too much is used it could run inside the lens and streak the inner surface or wash some oil out of the grease onto the glass.
I use lens wipes for spectacles, and if I need something stronger I use the liquid for multi use contact lenses. If it's safe enough for them - it should be safe enough for camera lenses. And once a lens is clean it shouldn't need much more than a blow with the rocket blower to keep the dust off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Zeiss Lens Wipes or Zeiss Lens Cleaner and a Soft Lens Cloth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 70 % ethanol and cleanroom-grade tissues or a microfibre cloth (clean). I find "ordinary" lens tissue useless, as they don´t absorb anything and only push the liquid around. 70 % ethanol leaves a thin coating of water (the other 30 %) which is perfect for getting off any streaks left by the ethanol; 90+ % ethanol tends to evaporate too quickly for my liking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trying many combinations/lens tissues I ended up by using sensor cleaning solution & clean microfiber. It's more expensive but cleans well and is not at all aggressive to coatings.