Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about canon 0.95
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Question about canon 0.95 Reply with quote

Can i use Canons 0.95 on my Canon 5D Mark II? And if i can, wich adapter do i have to get?

Kind regards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, 0.95 is rangefinder lens Leica screw mount, even if you can mount it with adapter working distance will be limited to close up works or even more worst.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
no, 0.95 is rangefinder lens Leica screw mount, even if you can mount it with adapter working distance will be limited to close up works or even more worst.

oh no Sad That was really sad to hear, but a huge thanks for your kind help!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind if you want to sell it I'll give you £20 Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tammyb wrote:
Attila wrote:

oh no Sad That was really sad to hear, but a huge thanks for your kind help!

One inexpensive solution is second hand sony nex-3 , ~150 USD and you can use it, even first NEX-3 has pretty good sensor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this article is interesting for those who intend to use a super fast lens on a digital camera:

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/F-stop-blues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw several shoots with this lens from my friend who is one of the best photographer what I know on Sony A7R , this is not Noctilux.. I don't see point to pay for this lens $$$ an 1.4 any lens what is fit into your camera will serve you same well or even better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I saw several shoots with this lens from my friend who is one of the best photographer what I know on Sony A7R , this is not Noctilux.. I don't see point to pay for this lens $$$ an 1.4 any lens what is fit into your camera will serve you same well or even better.

+1
This lens never convinced me to buy Laughing
If you want to shoot f0.95 lens, you can try the new Chinese Mitakon 50/0.95 (around $700). I heard some good things about this lens. And if you're really into manual focus lenses, you must love mirrorless cameras. Even an old, cheap one is very convenient and efficient enough. If you see any cheap NEX-F3 (less than $200) I highly recommend to take it, you won't be regret.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like images from the Canon 50/0.95 lens on a Sony Alpha 7:
http://www.paulmarbrook.com/sony-a7-canon-50mm-f0-95-dream-lens/

Does someone has informations about the microlens angular efficency of the Sony alpha 7 cameras?`It seems DXO does not perform further measurments - or don´t puplish them.

Up to know I did not find exacter microlens informations about this new camera- and I am very happy with my EOS 5D.
This article is nearly 4 years old, directly afterwards was some discussion, but it slowed down.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I like images from the Canon 50/0.95 lens on a Sony Alpha 7:
http://www.paulmarbrook.com/sony-a7-canon-50mm-f0-95-dream-lens/

FL 58/1.2 shares very similar character to that. I don't know whether one could distinguish which is which in blind test.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Konica Hexanon 1.4/57 to be markedly superior to the Canon 1.2/58, and a lot cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot to all of you!

why i want this lens? Well, i fell in love with the bokeh Smile I almost only use old lenses this Days, cause i love the artistic feeling i get with them.

And i really appreciate all your help. I love to photograph, but i'm really bad with all the mecanic talk Smile)

Yes I love mirror lens, but I still don't have any, really would love to buy Rubinar 300 but that seems impossible Smile This Chines Mitakon 50/0.95 - does that fit the Canon 5D Mark II?

I must look up the other one you tiped me about, Konica Hexanon? I will look that up Smile

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tammyb,

Maybe you got a bit confused, the other members were talking about mirrorless camera , not mirror lenses.

These cameras like the NEX, A7, etc let you use almost any manual lens available with the proper adapter.

Also, the konica lens Ian was referring to won't let you reach infinity with your canon camera unless the adapter has a glass element, which can affect IQ.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
Hi tammyb,

Maybe you got a bit confused, the other members were talking about mirrorless camera , not mirror lenses.

These cameras like the NEX, A7, etc let you use almost any manual lens available with the proper adapter.

Also, the konica lens Ian was referring to won't let you reach infinity with your canon camera unless the adapter has a glass element, which can affect IQ.

Hahahaha, well thank you Smile) I thought you talked about mirror lenses, now I know Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Does someone has informations about the microlens angular efficency of the Sony alpha 7 cameras?`It seems DXO does not perform further measurments - or don´t puplish them.

I am not aware of any more updated information than that from DXO, but perhaps this article will be of some help:

http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=224

Digital sensors generally do not work very well with very inclined rays so performance is usually bad with fast wide angle lenses originally designed for rangefinder cameras.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Digital sensors generally do not work very well with very inclined rays so performance is usually bad with fast wide angle lenses originally designed for rangefinder cameras.

I know that very well, but this can partly be fixed with shiftet microlenses.
My interest is more for the super fast lenses. I am thinking about the Sony 7 cameras, but still I miss information how good they work with very fast lenses f/1.2 and faster.
My 5D loose 0.45 f-stop on f/1.2 lenses, EOS 7D 0.9 f-stop (DXO date). So I suppose that several current DSLR cameras loose ~1 f-stop or more at f/0.95.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A7 series don't perform well with wide angle rangefinder lenses, the wider the angle the more pronounced the shortcomings O believe. But with slr lenses they are pretty much spot on. You probably know that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A7 series are great for legacy glass, if you really want to use that lens, hold on to it till you get a camera that can use it.
Most of my glass buying has been to get the glass, not to get glass that matches a body, because I might use a body for 3 years, and the glass for 10x that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that the Sony A7 is one of the best platforms to use with legacy lenses.

One of the things that made me choose the Sony A99 instead of the A7 was the larger A99 body that balances better with large lenses and is more comfortable to handle. However, many people prefer the A7 precisely because it is smaller. Cool

The A99 has internal stabilization in the body, but in practice this does not work well because adapters usually come with chips for emulating 50mm lens. It's a shame that Sony does not allow manually setting the focal length. Mad

A thing that is unique in the A99 is the fully articulated LCD. In the other FF cameras like Sony A7, Canon 5D and 6D, and Nikon D600 and D800, the LCD is fixed, or just tiltable (Sony A7).

The high point of all current FF Sony models is the electronic viewfinder, EVF. I know this is a controversial subject, but, oh boy, the EVF is what the doctor ordered for using with manual lenses! Razz

There are a few cases where the OVF may have some advantage over the EVF. For example, in an outdoor scene with lots of light (on the beach, for example), you SEE better with the OVF, but you PHOTOGRAPH better with the EVF! In almost all other cases, you SEE and PHOTOGRAPH better with the EVF. Smile

Advantages of the EVF:

1. WYSIWYG
2. Review directly in the viewfinder.
3. All information can be seen in the viewfinder.
4. Real-time view of the effects of setting white balance, exposure compensation, etc.
5. Focus accuracy not subject to misadjustment of mirror, focus sensors and ground glass.
6. Image always bright even with small apertures (F11, F16, F22) or high-magnification macro lens.
7. 5X or 10X zoom for ultra precise focus adjustment.
8. Focus peaking for manual focusing in video recordings.

Finally, I would like to emphasize a feature that the Sony A99, A7 and most Canon cameras have, but the A7r does not have: the so called Electronic First Curtain. The EFC is extremely efficient to avoid shutter-induced vibration. Try shooting with an ultra telephoto lens, or a macro lens with 1:1 magnification, using a shutter speed of, say, 1/15s, even on a tripod, and you will understand how important the EFC is.