Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adapter with aperture control on Pentax 110 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Adapter with aperture control on Pentax 110 lenses Reply with quote

The pentax 110 adapter with aperture works pretty well. Sharpness and DOF is increasing when stopping down on these great little Pentax 110 lenses.

18mm open

18mm fully stopped down

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, look really good, IQ and the adapter Smile
that's on m4/3, right?
would you please share which adapter that is?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
wow, look really good, IQ and the adapter Smile
that's on m4/3, right?
would you please share which adapter that is?

Yes, m43 Wink

Here's a link to the webshop where I bought it

Looks like half stopped down is really good. The details really shines out Very Happy

100% size unprocessed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the actual f number of half and closed?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first shot has a somewhat surrealistic look about it -- something with the way the OOF interacts with the focused areas. That's a good combination.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:

I have no clue, there is no f numbers on the adapter. Very Happy
The hole gets really small closed, so my guess is that some diffraction appears when closing the blades fully. Wink

I always thought that focal length divided with f number = opening of aperture?!?
Do anyone now? Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the manufacturer of the adapter did a good job. I made my own adapter with an aperture and found the aperture needs to be just about touching the back of the lens for optimum performance. Wide open, the 18, 24 and 50mm lenses all suffer from extreme softness at the edges. (I don't have the 75mm) If the aperture is too far away, the edges stay soft even when stopped down.

Looking back at my results, the 18mm was about the best of them, which surprised me. Based on exposure, my homemade aperture will stop down to only about f8 to f11 with the 18mm lens. These shots were taken with the 18mm at F8 based on exposure relative to wide open. Camera was Oly EPL1. PP is a levels tweak and small amount of sharpening. The results are ok, but I think the prices these lenses fetch is way out of proportion with the performance on offer. Admittedly though, it is cool being able to carry a complete set of primes around in one pocket!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
hifisapi wrote:

The hole gets really small closed, so my guess is that some diffraction appears when closing the blades fully. Wink

I always thought that focal length divided with f number = opening of aperture?!?
Do anyone now? Surprised

You can estimate the relative aperture based on the exposure. As you stop down, look at the shutter speed the camera chooses relative to the shutter speed wide open.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
It looks like the manufacturer of the adapter did a good job. I made my own adapter with an aperture and found the aperture needs to be just about touching the back of the lens for optimum performance. Wide open, the 18, 24 and 50mm lenses all suffer from extreme softness at the edges. (I don't have the 75mm) If the aperture is too far away, the edges stay soft even when stopped down.

Looking back at my results, the 18mm was about the best of them, which surprised me. Based on exposure, my homemade aperture will stop down to only about f8 to f11 with the 18mm lens. These shots were taken with the 18mm at F8 based on exposure relative to wide open. Camera was Oly EPL1. PP is a levels tweak and small amount of sharpening. The results are ok, but I think the prices these lenses fetch is way out of proportion with the performance on offer. Admittedly though, it is cool being able to carry a complete set of primes around in one pocket!

These are very nice shots Mark! Very Happy

I have the same impression as you, the 18mm is a good value lens and one of the few decent MF ones that you can adapt to m43 mount without getting a normal or tele lens Wink

I also have the 70mm together with the 18-24-50mm, and it's a quite good lens for portraits. Not my favorite, but still useful.

Here's a shot from the 70mm:

I also have the Soligor 2x converter for Pentax 110 lenses, but the quality of it is not the best IMO.
There is also a 20-40 zoom, do anyone have any experience with it?!? Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Adapter with aperture control on Pentax 110 lenses Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

18mm fully stopped down

Amazing! Stopping it down removed the cars from the image! Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
hifisapi wrote:

Do anyone now? Surprised

You can estimate the relative aperture based on the exposure. As you stop down, look at the shutter speed the camera chooses relative to the shutter speed wide open.

Yeah, of course Very Happy

I did a test against my screen. Halfway is when i put the aperture stick in the middle.

1/80 fully open, halfway 1/40 and 1/6 closed down Wink

Sum-up:
1/80 =f/2,8
1/40 = f/4
1/6 = f/11 (approx)

Seems correct or what? Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
These are very nice shots Mark! Very Happy

Thanks! Taken in April and note the vast amount of sunshine. NOT! Reminds me what a miserable year 2012 was weather wise.

Nordentro wrote:
Here's a shot from the 70mm:

That's wonderful! What a great expression that beast has. Great capture and very sharp.

I never got the 75mm because always went for way more than I was prepared to pay. Looks like it is the pick of the bunch though. I'd rather have the m.Zuiko 75mm f1.8 though (better keep quiet about that on this forum Wink )

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the Pentax 110 lenses be adapted for use on a Sony NEX?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Sum-up:
1/80 =f/2,8
1/40 = f/4
1/6 = f/11 (approx)

If my math is correct:
1/10 of a second would be f/8
1/5 of a second would be f/11
1/6 of a second is therefore 1/30 of a second faster than f/11.
1/10 of a second is 3/30 of a second faster than f/11
Therefore, 1/6 of a second is a third stop faster than f/11
Therefore 1/6 second exposure is equivalent to f/10

But I'm reading to much into the data here; it's only an estimate. So, you can say the aperture is f11 when fully closed with the 18mm lens.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Can the Pentax 110 lenses be adapted for use on a Sony NEX?

Not without vignetting and severely soft edges. The 110 format is just about the same size as the 4/3 digital format, which is why the lenses attract attention from 4/3 users.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Sum-up:
1/80 =f/2,8
1/40 = f/4
1/6 = f/11 (approx)

If my math is correct:
1/10 of a second would be f/8
1/5 of a second would be f/11
1/6 of a second is therefore 1/30 of a second faster than f/11.
1/10 of a second is 3/30 of a second faster than f/11
Therefore, 1/6 of a second is a third stop faster than f/11
Therefore 1/6 second exposure is equivalent to f/10

But I'm reading to much into the data here; it's only an estimate. So, you can say the aperture is f11 when fully closed with the 18mm lens.

Mark

Yes I agree

Thx for helping me finding this out Wink

I think it's easiest to think about the range from f/2.8 to 11, but I agree on f10 (that's why I wrote "approx") Very Happy
f/4 and f/5.6 seems to get the best results with the 18mm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If you're interested to know, buying a m43 to NEx adapter combined with the pentax 110 to m43 with aperture control, you'll be able to use your pentax 110 lenses fully! I'll post pictures as soon as I can take some

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taken with nex 5N
18mm focused on infinity at approximately f5.6

18mm close focus full open

50mm focused on infinity at approximately f5.6

50mm close focus full open

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the iris also 70mm lens?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the adapter with iris works on the 70mm as well... Wink