Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

pentacon 2.8/135 aperture problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: pentacon 2.8/135 aperture problem Reply with quote

Hello

i just go a pentacon 2.8/135mm with a m42 mount. it is the manual focusing version with serial 8406xxx.

the problem is that it is supposed to have a minimum aperture of f32 but it only turns to point to f22. there is also a red dot on the f22.

does this mean that they had "extra" aperture rings marked up to f32 and decided to use it on a lens with a minimum of f22 or something is wrong with the lens?

thanks for your help in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a preset lens, although it doesn't look like it. This makes it easier to set the aperture without taking the camera away from
your eye. To preset the aperture you have to pull the aperture grip ring towards the front of the lens, turn it and let it click back to the
new position and then the dial will only close the aperture as far as your setting. If you pull out the grip and turn it clockwise (viewed
from the front of the lens) to the limit, you have preset the aperture to f32. If you're using it with an auto-exposure camera you can
leave it on f32 and just stop down using the dial.

Hope this helps. Many people ask this question! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for the reply. is there a video of this procedure anywhere please? .. i'm obviously new to manual lenses. what about the fact that it stop at f22 and there is a red dot over it instead of sliding to f32?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some instructions, and links to youtube videos, here. The second video is the more useful one.

http://www.pentaconsix.com/preset.htm

It's very confusing when you get your first pre set lens, and very difficult to describe to someone how to use them. But once mastered they are easy, and in some instances faster, to use than normal lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madtigerhide wrote:
thanks so much for the reply. is there a video of this procedure anywhere please? .. i'm obviously new to manual
lenses. what about the fact that it stop at f22 and there is a red dot over it instead of sliding to f32?

I can't find a video, but it's not difficult when you understand. There are two red dots. I wasn't sure which one you mean - I think it's the
red dot on the ring. Grip the lens near the mount and pull out the aperture ring towards the front of the lens. Turn it to line up the red
dot with 32 and let it slide back. Now you can turn the dial to 32.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
There's some instructions, and links to youtube videos, here. The second video is the more useful one.

http://www.pentaconsix.com/preset.htm

It's very confusing when you get your first pre set lens, and very difficult to describe to someone how to use them. But once mastered
they are easy, and in some instances faster, to use than normal lenses.

That's a good find Dave. I have the zebra version and it works slightly differently to those in the videos, so my explanation above might
not be appropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for the prompt help guys.. really appreciate it