Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mirror Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mirror lens is a good option if budget is not a problem: Laughing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Canada-f-Leica-R-5-600-mm-Apo-Telyt-Prototype-Unicum-lens-/371087862716?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item56668f6bbc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Using tripod is cheating Rolf Wink
Great shot if it was handheld! Very Happy

Well Lars, many thanks for the flowers. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Of course it was without tripod/monpod (by the way all of the 500er pics if have posted here so far were handhelded)
This is also an aspect whether a small cam is usable with such a lens. I don't think so. It is much better to work with a real DSLR for better balance

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
This mirror lens is a good option if budget is not a problem: Laughing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Canada-f-Leica-R-5-600-mm-Apo-Telyt-Prototype-Unicum-lens-/371087862716?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item56668f6bbc

Thank you for that, Gerald, but I'm afraid I was too late, the sale had ended. I'll be quicker next time. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much experience with numerous Mirror lenses.

But I have with the Tamron 55B SP 500 F8 and it is a very good lens. Handy, very smooth to focus, built-in Hood, sharp and contrasty. Works for proxiphotography too.

3 pictures I made with it :

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier: Those are outstanding, the first and third especially. And a pelican too - close to my heart. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tamron 55B Mirror SP500/8 it's a favorite no doubt about that, especially in bright sunlight.It's a great lens for both long and short distances (I have picked one up for as little as $50 au just because it had a small amount of fungus,smaller than a dime/5 cent piece). I also have the 06B 350/5.6,it has issues and until I get them fixed I can't really comment...I can see it has potential from Attila's samples.

I would love a Telyt as it really is the top of the pile, and keep looking and hoping for one in my price range Very Happy The Russians are harder to find down my way,they do turn up but not on a regular basis. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Olivier: Those are outstanding, the first and third especially. And a pelican too - close to my heart. Thank you.

You're welcome, Woodrim.
Thank you too.

Moïra also did excellent pictures with this lens. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images Olivier. My respect.

Below 3 samples with my Tamron 8/500 and Pentax K-5

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Rolf.
Yours are also very respectful my friend. Very Happy

Everything's in control ?

Oh, I forgot to mention :
#1 with Canon 5D Mark II
#2 & 3 with Canon 40D
All handheld.

Last edited by Olivier on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are superb Ralf , especially last one Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love cat shoot a lot , Olivier!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I love cat shoot a lot , Olivier!

Thank you very much Attila. Smile

The cat comes from this serie :
http://forum.mflenses.com/cat-with-a-cat-lens-tamron-sp-500-f8-t36498,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bsp+%2B500.html
Wink

The Pelican from these ones :
http://forum.mflenses.com/visit-at-the-zoo-tamron-sp-500-f8-part-2-t37287,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bsp+%2B500.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/visit-at-the-zoo-tamron-sp-500-f8-part-1-t37284,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bsp+%2B500.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hunch that mirror lenses suffer from more sample variability than normal refractive lenses. I have had a lot of them and some have been noticeably poor.

My top 5 are:
Tokina 300mm f6.3 for m4/3 - the best mirror lens I have tried but obviously no use for you! I mention it for completeness.
Rubinar 500mm f5.6 - Excellent. See this thread
Tamrom 55B 500mm f8 - very good
Olympus Zuiko 500mm f8 - very good (maybe a bit sharper than the Tamron but much smaller)
Chinon 300mm f5.6 - good. This is a T2 mount lens available under many names.

Ones I didn’t like:
Tokina 500mm f8 - decent, but obviously inferior to the Tamron
Sigma 600mm f8 - just soft

Ones that have issues:
Rubinar 500mm f8 - I don’t know what is wrong with this lens. it is sharp in liveview but the pictures always end up soft (like shutter vibration, but the problem persists even with a very solid tripod, remote release and long anti-shock)
Tamron 350mm f5.6 - shows obvious astigmatism so is ok but never very sharp. I assume I have a bad copy of this lens as lots of people rate it highly.
Super Paragon 300mm f5,6 - This is the same T2 lens as the Chinon but this one shows obvious astigmatism so doesn’t work so well in practice.

The above is just my personal experience from copies of the lenses that I own (or have owned). I don't intend to suggest anyone else's views are invalid.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for additional information. Rolf: good images, like the beer. SXR_Mark: Thanks for sharing your experiences.

One thing becoming evident is that the focus must be precise, otherwise I realize these lenses are very unforgiving. I don't think I would do well without focusing aids. Perhaps my peaking and image enlargement focusing aids will make it possible.

I have seen another lens that caught my eye. The Sigma 5.6/400 looks to be better than their longer model. I found a couple of posts, but not a lot of other information.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sigma is a good mirror lens but is does not appear frequently and many copy suffers from haze. The Spiratone Minitel-S 5.6/300 with 72mm filter will be a good budget choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sigma 600 does a very good job, especially considering the focal length. It has a longer focus throw than the Vivitar 600mm solid cat I have and is easier to focus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whow, good images in this thread! I have to use my russian mirror lens 3M-5A more often!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The many good images in this thread animated me to take out the Tokina again this morning.

My impression from today is that while the very far and very near are not as sharp as I would wish, the middle distances are quite OK.

Focus bracketing is of course critical.

One from this morning straight out of LR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 55B at Pentax K20D

Fox by Ouwesok, on Flickr

Common Kestrel by Ouwesok, on Flickr

Grey Leg Goose by Ouwesok, on Flickr

Also usefull for shy insects

Green-eyed Hawker by Ouwesok, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
The many good images in this thread animated me to take out the Tokina again this morning.

My impression from today is that while the very far and very near are not as sharp as I would wish, the middle distances are quite OK.

Gorgeous shot Bernhardas. The Tokina is a very good lens, as shown in your pic here it has excellent contrast and can be very sharp, and I still think this lens is a bargain.. I think that being better at less than infinity and long distance is probably true of all mirrors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kenetik"]
bernhardas wrote:

Gorgeous shot Bernhardas. The Tokina is a very good lens, as shown in your pic here it has excellent contrast and can be very sharp, and I still think this lens is a bargain.. I think that being better at less than infinity and long distance is probably true of all mirrors.

Thanks.

Well they are definitely a bargain,as the whole set in good condition can often be found for half the price of a Tamron.
I think at some point of timne I will definitely try one of the other better Mirrors but my Budget for this year was already blown in March Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here again 3 samples with Leica 8/500mm mirror and Nikon D700

Many thanks Olivier. Will send you within the next days a PM !

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Rolf !
I love these pictures, particularly the Hamburger clown ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks, keep them coming. Rolf: My wallet shivers when I see the Leica name.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3M-5CA again Smile