Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My girl and Helios 40
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: My girl and Helios 40 Reply with quote

I had this lens for several months but didn't have chance to use it frequently until I met my girlfriend. She's my best model Shocked !
It's quite hard to focus correctly using this lens and normally the sharpness at wide open can't meet my satisfaction. However, some proper treatments can really help. At wide open, photos taken with this lens are like paintings.

1. about f/5.6, on NEX F3

2. wide open, on 6D

3. about f/2, on 6D

4. wide open, on 6D

5. wide open, on NEX F3 (the sharpness is reduced a lot when shooting against the light source)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, great use of the lens' own character.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning images, great use of this lens. The flare on the first and last image really is a bonus. Well done.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you every one Very Happy

It's quite weird to use this lens sometimes, I never have 100% of confidence to control it. It's very easy to get a blurry, messy photo without practicing. But it's a big wow when I manage it right Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
Thank you every one Very Happy

It's quite weird to use this lens sometimes, I never have 100% of confidence to control it. It's very easy to get a blurry, messy photo without practicing. But it's a big wow when I manage it right Very Happy

Because impossible to see accurate focus before replace factory focus screen:

Chuck Westfall on Focus Screen DOF Issue

Quote:
The Ee-A standard focusing screen for the EOS 5D is bright enough (and accurate enough) for manual focusing under most lighting conditions with virtually any EF lens regardless of maximum aperture. However, because of the design of the microlenses on the surface of the Ee-A, the depth of field shown through the viewfinder never appears be shallower than approximately f/2.8. Therefore, when using a lens faster than f/2.8, the depth of field in the resulting photograph may be shallower than what's shown in the viewfinder if a working aperture larger than f/2.8 is selected.

Quote:
Canon offers an optional focusing screen called the Ee-S Super Precision Matte Screen. This focusing screen uses more powerful microlenses than the standard Ee-A screen, with the result that out-of-focus areas in the viewfinder are more accurate to the actual depth of field in the resulting image. This has the effect of making it easier to determine the exact point of focus during manual focusing, especially with high-speed lenses like the EF50mm f/1.4 USM or EF50mm f/1.2L USM. However, it also has the effect of making the Ee-S focusing screen noticeably darker than the Ee-A screen when using lenses with maximum apertures smaller than f/2.8. (No free lunch!)