Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian night vision lens 100/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Russian night vision lens 100/2 Reply with quote

Hi,

Here are some shots made with a no name lens, usualy called "mini cyclop". It comes from a crappy russian night vision device (TZS-2, ТЗС-2 in russian). The lens has M42 mount, focusing ring but no diaphragme. Results are better than expected. Those photos were shot with Sony A7 mk1 in 24x36 mode.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a wild beast to tame, not an average walk around lens

but great potential for sure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be working pretty well for b/w portraits ...?

S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is rather the Jupiter-9 without diaphragm. However in the specification they claim that it has focus of 100mm, but I believe it is rather approximate number.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe it is rather the Jupiter-9 without diaphragm. However in the specification they claim that it has focus of 100mm, but I believe it is rather approximate number.

Image quality is very different. Jupiter-9 has a rather good controle of spherical aberrations. This one is very weak on this side (very clear on the first photo).I think its design is way less complex, I guess closer to aplanat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with burstmax, it's nothing like an image from a jupiter 9.

even the lens body looks from the picture 2-3 times longer than j-9.

it reminds me heavy on a cookie triplet imaginary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the lens was made for a much smaller format than 35mm although it covers it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:

No way! The Jupiter-9 (Zeiss Sonnar 2/85mm) is much, much better than this cheap 100mm lens.

Please refrain from such rather meaningless and un-substantiated "I believe ... " postings. I'm very happy to see real first-hand knowedge, though Wink !!

S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Please refrain from such rather meaningless and un-substantiated "I believe ... "

As an well educated, and - to the certain way even intelligent human being, when I don't know for certain, I always use the statement "I believe ... ".

It puts the matter of discussion on the very well defined basis.

And it is a very basic law of the human rights, that anybody have the indisputable right to express in the public discussions whatever is the matter of his believing.

Last edited by LittleAlex on Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
i agree with burstmax, it's nothing like an image from a jupiter 9.

even the lens body looks from the picture 2-3 times longer than j-9.

Well - after some consideration I have to admit, that you might be completely right.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
As an well educated, and - to the certain way even intelligent human being, when I don't know for certain, I always use the statement "I believe ... ".

It puts the matter of discussion on the very well defined basis.

And it is a very basic law of the human rights, that anybody have the indisputable right to express in the public discussions whatever is the matter of his believing.

Certainly, having a hypothesis disproven is still useful. Like 1 small

There can be confusions over word choice sometimes, a result of all being forced to use a common language that many not be our native one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
LittleAlex wrote:

No way! The Jupiter-9 (Zeiss Sonnar 2/85mm) is much, much better than this cheap 100mm lens.

Please refrain from such rather meaningless and un-substantiated "I believe ... " postings. I'm very happy to see real first-hand knowedge, though Wink !!

S

Well, cheap in quality, yes, but not in value, if you check ebay, it's approx the same price as the Jupiter-9, if not more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics.
I wanted one for some time but couldn't find it until recently, thanks for mentioning the device name (TZS-2, ТЗС-2 ), that helped a lot Like Dog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:

These lenses have different optical designs: seven elements in three groups (Jupiter-9 85/2), four elements in two groups (TZS-2 100/2)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:

Oh yes sure ...

BUT ... you reputation inevitably will suffer if you say/write wrong things ... Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stevemark"]
LittleAlex wrote:

you reputation inevitably will suffer if you say/write wrong things ... Wink

Do you believe I really carry for that? Laugh 1

In reality I am very careless person. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LittleAlex"]
stevemark wrote:
LittleAlex wrote:

you reputation inevitably will suffer if you say/write wrong things ... Wink

Do you believe I really carry for that? Laugh 1

In reality I am very careless person. Cool

Not good for you reputation !!

Laugh 1 Laugh 1

(I hope you understand I'm joking and laughing while writing ... NOT meant to offend you in any way!!)

S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Not good for you reputation !!

Are you certain I have any?