Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vemar 200 preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Vemar 200 preset Reply with quote

I find this older Vemar 200 preset an attractive, interesting, and collectible lens:

Click here to see on Ebay

Thing is, though, my knowledge regarding Vemar lenses in general is woefully lacking. Embarassed

Does anyone know what company actually made this lens?

Question

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe of help [urlhttp://forum.mflenses.com/has-anyone-owned-or-heard-of-a-vemar-lens-t12015,highlight,%2Bvemar.html[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Maybe of help [urlhttp://forum.mflenses.com/has-anyone-owned-or-heard-of-a-vemar-lens-t12015,highlight,%2Bvemar.html[/url]

Thanks. That's a good link with helpful information. It's funny, I was thinking "Tokina", too, after seeing the leading "H" in the serial number. It sort of reminded me of some Soligor lenses made by Tokina.

Here is the link again for folks with an aversion to copy and paste:

http://forum.mflenses.com/has-anyone-owned-or-heard-of-a-vemar-lens-t12015,highlight,%2Bvemar.html

BTW, for anyone following Vemar lenses in general, there has been a development on the Vemar 600 lens, which I think is really quite a striking lens:

http://forum.mflenses.com/vemar-600-preset-seems-expensive-t67158.html

Forget that I, in my knows-nothing ignorance, found that lens expensive. A super whale has now come along and bid the asking price!!

When you're wrong, you're wrong. I was wrong. And that auction still has a couple hours to run!

Course if that 600 is a Tokina-made lens, as it appears this 200 might be, then it surely is worth that whale's bid. Whales know stuff I simply do not know!

But "thinking out loud":

It seems to me with most of the Vemars I see being presets, and with preset lenses today so sought after, the Vemar marque in general might be a possible indicator, a gateway if you will, for location of desirable Tokina presets. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Vemar 600 weighs 12 lbs!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vemar was a trademark of Bittco, a US importer, active apparently from the late 1950's-early 1970's. Their range included all the usual miscellaneous photo gear also.
Bittco/Vemar imported a range of Japanese lenses. Some were Sankyo, some were Tokina, some were all sorts of others it seems, notably Kawakami/Kawanon.

The 600/8 previously mentioned could have been a Tokina or Kawanon, each had a distinctive 600/8. I used to have one of the Kawanon ones in the Vemar brand - also an 800mm !

This 200mm smells of either Nittoh or Kawakami. I never had one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT

I wonder if whales sometimes call others of their species who exhibit some questionable behavior 'humans'... Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
OT

I wonder if whales sometimes call others of their species who exhibit some questionable behavior 'humans'... Shocked

Not entirely sure where you're going with that, but I probably should make clear:

"Whale" is a term I use fairly often on this forum for major buyers of lenses. "Whale" just means they buy a great many lenses. To identify a whale I check the size of a bidder's feedback score. Certain identifiable whale bidders show up quite often at lens auctions I am watching and following every day.

Right or wrong, I assume the whales know a whole lot more about lenses than a minnow like me. I admire the whales, try to learn from their bidding, and I would like to be a lens whale some day. However, so far it looks as if I'll die first. Wink Crying or Very sad