Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Grinding the back of KMZ Helios 44-2?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Grinding the back of KMZ Helios 44-2? Reply with quote

Good afternoon. Did anybody successfully grind 1-2mm of the protruding metal ring so it won't meet with the 5d mk.1 mirror? If so, any tips about doing it good?
I'm worried that some metal dust can enter the lens or (which is worse) the camera body. I don't want to disassemble the lens for grinding, maybe some sealing with tape would help?

One Love

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I successfully grind the back of a Helios 44-2 much more then 1-2 mm and changed its mount to Leica R in order to use it with my Leica R Speed Booster, but not the back lens barrel - only the 42 mm. screw mount. I've used a lathe to do it and yes, I secured it with tape and round cut cardboard on glass on both the back and front glass. I taped the whole lens and fixed it to the lathe by the front filter ring with a special made piece.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news. So it probably won't be a problem to do the same with the rear lens barrel. Looks like the 5d will be my next tool of trade Wink.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shave the mirror and you will have less headache on many other lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, the 5d costs like forty times more than H44. I'd be afraid of doing any surgery to it Very Happy.