Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 85mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 9 85mm f2 Reply with quote

Forward to the Past . . . I already had a Kiev and the little, plastic Soviet 85mm viewfinder so getting the Jupiter 9 seemed like a good idea, especially as it came from eBay with an M4/3 adapter. Never mind that the adapter was to Leica M, I already had the LM to M4/3 adapter . . . and the Lumix camera to use it on. From what I've read about the logo on it, this particular Jupiter 9 was made at the LZOS factory, presumably in 1975, going by the number. It has some factory souvenirs inside in the form of various bits of dust, but otherwise it's clean, although the focusing movement seems to use some lubricant which freezes at +20 degrees C.

Looks nice, though, doesn't it? I might even load a film in the camera sometime, the shutter seems to work fine.

New toys must be used immediately - right? Yes, of course, so I put it on the Lumix G1 and went out into the rain

As it was raining quite heavily and I had nobody to hold an umbrella for me, I took this one hand-held at closest focus distance (1.15 meters) and f2. Not the best recipe for getting pin-point focus, but never mind, it looks nice and moody.

Stopping down to f4 sharpens and perks things up a bit:

When (if) the rain stops I'll get out the tripod and do some more carefully controlled shots. Both these are from camera jpegs with the Lumix set on 'Vibrant' with sharpness and saturation both set at +2. And I used a lens hood, really to keep the rain off the front element.

I had a J-9 in the late 1970s in Leica rf mounting that was, er, um, sort of 'warm'. For those who remember colour slide films, it made Kodachrome look like Agfa CT18. Later I had two J-9s in M42, both bought in the 1980s when you could pick them up for very little money. Neither of them seemed anything like as good as the older rangefinder one. This one looks like it might be a decent one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a very nice sharp copy, judging by my experience with late M42 J9s!

Enjoy this piece of glass Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens, for outdoor lightning days you'll profit a lot having a lens shade to permit more contrast/defined pics. The bokeh of the shot at f2 is beautiful!

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renato - these were taken using an old Nikon 135 lens hood via a 49/52mm step ring. It also keeps the raindrops off the front element !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Renato - these were taken using an old Nikon 135 lens hood via a 49/52mm step ring. It also keeps the raindrops off the front element !

Just perfect!

Renato