Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A7 or A7(R)?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: A7 or A7(R)? Reply with quote

Pixel count and price aside, which of these cameras is considered best for legacy glass and why?
I'm considering buying one of these cameras but am not sure which would suit my needs better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: A7 or A7(R)? Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Pixel count and price aside, which of these cameras is considered best for legacy glass and why?
I'm considering buying one of these cameras but am not sure which would suit my needs better.

The A7 is the best choice, because of the 24mp sensor. The larger pixel provide better performance with range finders lenses wider then 35mm. The hybrid focusing system is better. It has a better shutter the is quieter. Faster burst performance and higher flash sync speed of 1/250sec as opposed to 1/180sec. They both will accept any legacy lens with available adapters. They both have great focus assist systems. Vignetting will acure with lenses with small image circles. Auto focus compatible adapter are slow to focus, with the exception of Sony adapters using A-mount lenses. Ebay is a good source for inexpensive adapters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was guy on this forum who sent its A7r back to finally get an A7.
But there are not so many people who had or have both.
I chose the A7 and not the A7 r for the following reasons:
Supposed vibration issues with the A7r due to the shutter.
Size of the files of the A7r
A7 seems to be already demanding enough with non stabilized lenses
Price even if I could afford the A7r. I prefer to have a less expensive camera. I feel free to use it in all circumstances ( it is my head !)
Correct kit zoom lens available.

My experience :
the A7 is demanding enough. The first limitation is your capacity to focus correctly and to be stable. The second is the shallow depth of field.
People forget that in general you need depth of field. Perhaps I am wrong but I think that the A7r could be more demanding in this respect.

The double shutter of the A7 does not work with some mF lenses with speeds over 1/2000s so you have to switch to one shutter.
Don't expect that the camera works with RF wide angles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7R has better sharpness (no AA filter). A7R has better and stronger build. A7R has greater resolution = you can crop out smaller parts of an image. Wink

A7 is still more than enough and has a few benefits over the "R" that is mentioned earlier in the thread. Very Happy

I am currently curious of the A7S Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7 was the better choice overall for me, and I studied and tried both cameras. The electronic first curtain shutter was a big factor, as was the fact, mentioned earlier, that a lot of legacy glass has enough issues standing up to 24mp, and I don't have any native mount lenses except a couple of aps-c lenses from my Nex.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the A7 and i am way happy with it, and of course using only MF lenses, primes. Wink
24 MP is really much much enough! I can get decent shots even with my 6 MP old Dynax 7D, or Nikon D40...
usually, i don't really more than 12 MP technically, which my D90 does, but my D7000 Body already does
have 16 MP.

@Nordentro

According to DXOMark, the A7S is as expected the "king of the hill" when it comes to avialable/lowlight photography - but from the sensor
Comparsion the A7 wins against the A7S, the A7 scores higher.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can wait, there may be better second generation of FF mirrorless in the next year. Smile

For A7S, it is the camera for those who love low light photography. It dynamic range is less than the other two brothers. A7s work best in silent mode for night time street photos or indoor situation where flash is prohibited and shutter noise cause disturbance.