Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

tokina 400mm 6.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: tokina 400mm 6.3 Reply with quote

sun from 2 o´clock, at 10 am, hazy atmosphere, distance ca 1-1.5 km
Nikon D 200

with Tokina 400mm f 6.3 at f 8

100 % crop of the tower

maybe sharpening was too much

The Tokina is a very light slim lens with built in hood - easy to take for a walk. Difficult for me only is focusing at shorter distances with the lens on my D200, cause of the dark viewfinder - anyhow the focus indicator works opposite to what is written that f 5.6 is the max, it does - might be better used with live view

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Tokina Reply with quote

What ISO is this taken at ? That pic looks a little noisy, maybe it is the sharpening - fringing doesn't look to bad.

The colours look nicely saturated.

I am not familiar with the Tokina 400mm F6.3 - I did have a Tokina f5.6 400mm for a very short period prior to sending it back for a refund due to fungus - however - even with fungus it took good pics on my Pentax k10d

I am on the look out for the 400mm F5.6 as it does work well hand held Very Happy

I have a Tokina 300mm f5.5 m42 which is a great little lens except for the fringing, however the fringing issues are fairly predictable so I tend to pick my subjects carefully to get the best from it. Very Happy

Last edited by stuey on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXIF said ISO#110.
Noisy due to the distance + hazy atmosphere + a lil bit of sharpening + 100% crop.
Nothing unusual.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd - I have never noticed a noice effect due to haze - no doubt I will now.

Every day is a school day as they say Confused

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to see the difference - here is 100 % crop from original pic - not processed, except converting RAW to jpg

from de-hazing you get noise and that is what Himself said (am i wrong ?) and i sharpened it to much. . Just wanted to see the result under bad conditions and i think for a documentation of the tower´s cover it would be sufficient

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuey, you're right, haze by itself doesn't produce noise.
der einrahmer, you're right too, trying to remove the haze by sharpening the picture will produce noise.
Hope I answered both of you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I was right every day is a school day - I have learned something - cool Very Happy

Any chance of a picture of the lens itself ?

I have read in the past that the use of a UV filter will help cut through haze but personally I have never noticed this actually happen once I use a UV filter Confused

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picture of the lens
sorry - took a while, but here it is:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find my images tend to have more noise on a hazy day, this is with a Canon 350D and a Panasonic G1, it just seems to confuse the sensor, maybe the camera is trying to bring out detail through the haze or maybe the noise is just more evident because there are larger areas of uniform tones and the light is less strong but I definitely find my images nosier on a foggy/hazy/misty day, a least shooting raw.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic.

I have not seen this lens before - again I have learned something Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just acquired this lens. It's a cut above the average 400 6.3 in terms of construction and solidity - a quality item (but quite heavy - a kilo). I did make a wee mistake - i thought from the pics of it it was t-mount but no. So I am limited to my Lumix with MFT - CFD adapter.

First impressions good. The absence of fringing on the castle is particularly notable. Looks like it can give my Nestar a run for its money.

jpg at f8, some pp in LR and resize

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more test pics today, taken alongside my Tamron Nestar. not much between them IMO, nestar perhaps edges it on sharpness. These two crops (Lumix G2) both at f11, same pp in LR, Tokina RMC top, Nestar below. addendum I think the graininess has been exacerbated by 85% jpg compression to reduce the upload

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too much noise