Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 24mm f1.4 on D800: Fashion - It can be very good!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Samyang 24mm f1.4 on D800: Fashion - It can be very good! Reply with quote

Here is a shot from the studio shoot last night with model Georgie - Nikon D800 fashion photography using Samyang 24mm f1.4.

Samyang 24/1.4 by MatthewOsbornePhotography_, on Flickr

I have a bit of a love / hate relationship with this lens. It is not as sharp as the Samyang 85, 35 or 14mm wide open but stopped down it is easily sharp enough and is a useful focal length.

I wrote more thoughts on it here if interested - http://matthewosbornephotography.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/samyang-24mm-f1-4-on-d800/

Last edited by MatthewOsbornePhotography on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a very good combo in the right situations.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. And to see. Beautifull samples
But if we buy this lens, it's for the f1.4, isn't ?
On this point, reviews are not "enthusiastic"...
(I'll stick with the nFD L)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Matthew.
It is clearly a superior lens stopped down.
Lovely model.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Wide open Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
Good to hear. And to see. Beautifull samples
But if we buy this lens, it's for the f1.4, isn't ?
On this point, reviews are not "enthusiastic"...
(I'll stick with the nFD L)

Thanks

Yes if you want a fast Samyang lens to shoot wide open get the 35mm or 85mm f1.4 as they are both fantastic.

..and yes I would normally only buy f1.4 lenses to shoot them wide open. I acquired this lens rather than bought it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've the 85mm.
I know that the 35mm is fantastic...But what a monster !
I prefer largely the little (inferior) Nikkor Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good series with the Samyang!

Is the Canon FD L better? The Samyang 24/1.4 is on my wishlist for astro-photography as in the few astro samples I've found the Samyang seemed to be visibly better than the Canon. But there was no recording about the used aperture though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a comparison by an astro-photographer with the EF L II :

http://lehenaffpix.blogspot.fr/2012/12/test-comparatif-canon-24-mm-14-l-ii-vs.html

The Samyang is really good from f2.8 !

(previous test : http://lehenaffpix.blogspot.fr/2012/03/test-review-samyang-24-mm-14.html )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt, I just received my own Sam 24/T1.5 that I won in a photo contest and it's starting to exceed all my expectations. I've read on many forums that each copy of this 24 is different (especially sharpness-wise) and it's got maybe the worst quality control of all Samyang lenses, but I must have gotten lucky with my copy, because it seems sharper than my 85/1.4 and at least as sharp as my 35/1.4. Maybe they improved the quality control with the cine versions. Anyways, I'm gonna shoot with it for a while, but I'm tempted to just sell both my 14/2.8 and 35/1.4 and keep the 24/1.4 as the only wide angle lens, because I can never be bothered to carry both of them around.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shot. I've looked at your photography before on your website, you do excellent work! The lens definitely holds up. Samyang's recent lenses all look to have good results based on what I've been reading/seeing.