Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Tessar 50mm 2.8 Zebra on Canon 60d
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: CZJ Tessar 50mm 2.8 Zebra on Canon 60d Reply with quote

This is all old hat I'm sure, but I am rather surprised at just how much fun this lens is. I bought it for £15 at the local charity store so to me it is a steal.

I love how it can be both nice and contrasty or filmic and soft. This makes it very good for me both for video and photography...

Some examples of how I use it:

Busy bokeh but that really works well on video. (Which is why I got into this stuff)

60s feel

70s nostalgia feel

Jazz album cover feel

Cabbage feel?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great lenses for sure.
Very nicely taken images.
Well seen and well done
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!

I am wondering how I can complement this lens with wider and longer lenses that have a similar feel to them.
Because I shoot video I really care about having a matching set, not so much in getting "better" lenses.

Let's say something around 24-35mm, Flektogon?
And around 75-85mm. Biometar 80 2.8?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what is exactly the 'feel' you mean. If you look for sets with consistence color, pick the lenses are the same maker(e.g. Nikkors). If you look for sets with consistence bokeh, consider the Tessar based wide-anlges like Takumar 35mm F3.5 and telephotos like CZJ Tessar 2.8/80(not sure if the bokeh is very similar because I never owned any of the lenses) .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I am not sure what is exactly the 'feel' you mean. If you look for sets with consistence color, pick the lenses are the same maker(e.g. Nikkors). If you look for sets with consistence bokeh, consider the Tessar based wide-anlges like Takumar 35mm F3.5 and telephotos like CZJ Tessar 2.8/80(not sure if the bokeh is very similar because I never owned any of the lenses) .

What I mean is really a similar rendering style, contrast,, colour definition etc. The goal is to allow shooting at different focal lengths without jarring changes between these things. (matters a lot in video)
So in theory, same manufacturer with same coating, possibly similar optics... Having said that, if some 3rd party copy performs exactly the same that would be fine too. For example, my Mir 1v could possibly function as the Flek equivalent... Maybe. Smile

So far example, I have collected a set of Takumars, (28mm, 35, 55, 105, 135) (just missing the 85) and they are pretty close to each other, be they SMC or just Super. I could plonk in my Nikon 80 f2 pre AI, but I fear it renders too differently to "fit". Although I need to test that assumption of course.

I am trying to do something simpler to match this Tessar 50mm 2.8. What lenses at different focal lengths produce comparable images in the terms I described above. Smile

Make sense?

R

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessars are great just people not respected them , due very common lenses.Nice to see your happiness!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Tessars are great just people not respected them , due very common lenses.Nice to see your happiness!

Very happy Smile
Hopefully I can find similar joy with other focal lengths.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
Thank you very much!

I am wondering how I can complement this lens with wider and longer lenses that have a similar feel to them.
Because I shoot video I really care about having a matching set, not so much in getting "better" lenses.

Let's say something around 24-35mm, Flektogon?
And around 75-85mm. Biometar 80 2.8?

Perhaps Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar lenses in different focal lengths. I believe they are the same design as Tessars.
I don't know if they come in wide angle though.

Others members know more than me, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

135mm and 200mm slower lenses are most obvious other lenses what often go next to nothing and quality is excellent, like Meyer 200mm f4 , Pentacon 200mm f4 , Pentacon 135mm f2.8 MC long, long list

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

What I mean is really a similar rendering style, contrast,, colour definition etc. The goal is to allow shooting at different focal lengths without jarring changes between these things. (matters a lot in video)
So in theory, same manufacturer with same coating, possibly similar optics... Having said that, if some 3rd party copy performs exactly the same that would be fine too. For example, my Mir 1v could possibly function as the Flek equivalent... Maybe. Smile

So far example, I have collected a set of Takumars, (28mm, 35, 55, 105, 135) (just missing the 85) and they are pretty close to each other, be they SMC or just Super. I could plonk in my Nikon 80 f2 pre AI, but I fear it renders too differently to "fit". Although I need to test that assumption of course.

I am trying to do something simpler to match this Tessar 50mm 2.8. What lenses at different focal lengths produce comparable images in the terms I described above. Smile

Make sense?

R

Makes sense to me, but my answer will not make you happy.
Manufacturers did not always make a conscious effort to produce lenses that had a simmilar rendering. SOmetimes other criteria were more important.
My own impression is, that the earliest examples are Zeiss/Leica and the medium format lines, and later the other camera makers joined in.
For early lenses there is more or less only trial and error.
While we have an incredible amount of knowledge and examples in this forum. People might compare lenses but have completely different priorities or way of shooting from yourself.
I am always happy myself when I find a matching pair and sometimes they are unlikely candidates.
My latest discovery is that a Voigtlander Ultron 50 1.8 (a planar type) flares and renders very similar to a CZJ Sonnar 180 2.8 MC. I would never have suspected the two to pair up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:

Makes sense to me, but my answer will not make you happy.
Manufacturers did not always make a conscious effort to produce lenses that had a simmilar rendering. SOmetimes other criteria were more important.
My own impression is, that the earliest examples are Zeiss/Leica and the medium format lines, and later the other camera makers joined in.
For early lenses there is more or less only trial and error.
While we have an incredible amount of knowledge and examples in this forum. People might compare lenses but have completely different priorities or way of shooting from yourself.
I am always happy myself when I find a matching pair and sometimes they are unlikely candidates.
My latest discovery is that a Voigtlander Ultron 50 1.8 (a planar type) flares and renders very similar to a CZJ Sonnar 180 2.8 MC. I would never have suspected the two to pair up.

Thanks!
That's ok, I am quite happy with the Takumar set, and if I find an affordable Vario-Sonnar 3.4 35-70 then I have a another Zeiss option.

Besides, now I get to have fun trying to learn the characteristics of lots of Tessar-ish lenses. Smile
I'm still curious about the FLektogon and Biometar lenses of similar era though. Would be nice to have a Zebra set. 35mm and 80-ish mm are important focal lengths to me so that is where my biggest challenge lies I reckon. Any tips for those focal lengths?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am feeling pretty good as I have indeed found that 35-70 vario-sonnar, and I started shooting a short film using vintage lenses.
Among them the Tessar, especially for dreamy 70s inspired footage. Here is a still from one scene:

The flare/ghosting/washed out look is done on purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a full black tessar, but I found other 50's just better. However your images are really nice, well done!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

This is an old zebra Tessar, and I suspect they are a bit different from later black ones. They are cheap as chips so might be worth getting one to try again...

I'm sure there are other 50s that do some things better than the Tessar, but then there are some things that are specific to this lens that I like. It's a fun process to find out what the strengths and weaknesses of lenses are, and then to use them based on those specific qualities.: -)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having a lot of fun shooting a short film with various lenses, and a big chunk was done with my beloved Tessar.

Here is another still to update the thread with:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating a 9 year old thread.
My zebra Tessar died unexpectedly, so I replaced it, and sot some tests with it.

It's just as lovely and I really like the 35cm close focusing distance!

(Canon 60d, straight from the camera)