Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair3-Phs 4,5/300 Nikon Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Tair3-Phs 4,5/300 Nikon Mount Reply with quote

I had been looking for a while for this lens to show up on the market locally without all the other accessories that usually come with it.

I thought these only came in M42 mount, but this has a Nikon one.

It was badly put on, the tripod mount was sitting on the side of the lens when attaching it to a camera.

But all it took to fix this was unscrew 3 screws, turn the mount in the right position, and tightening the screws again.

I have the impression, that with the way this mount is constructed, it can take other mounts as well? Can someone confirm if there are other interchangeble mounts available for this system?

And last question, I have no idea how the aperture works, is there a manual to be found somewhere? I searched a bit on google but I don't speak russian, and the images that go with the tekst don't make it clear for me either Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Karen,

I think you are going to really like this lens! My photosniper performs very well- although you have to be careful when using the gun stock part in public!. I had trouble figuring out the aperture mechanism at first, as well.

The lens has a semi-automatic diaphragm - one step above a pre-set diaphragm.

Here is how I use mine (see pics below):

Pic 1 - cock the semi-automatic diaphragm by putting your finger on the silver button and rotating the setting ring until it clicks and holds. This will open the diaphragm to wide open.

Pic 2 - adjust the aperture ring to your desired shooting aperture, for instance f/8, etc.. The aperture won't stop down yet.

Pic 3 - push up (towards the lens) on the silver bar that is hinged to the bottom of the tripod mounting plate. The aperture will now snap down to your pre-selected shooting aperture from step 2 above (ie. f/Cool. Once you are in this position you can slide the cocking lever back to wide open.

Hope this helps!

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this information and the images, I am going to try this instantly!

I just bought the lens, not the whole sniper kit, because you just can't use the gun for shooting anyway, people would call the police Laughing

EDIT: I got it to work but differently.
- I turn the knob into the direction of the arow until it clicks, the aperture opens up
- I change the aperture to the desired number
- At this point, when I push the lever underneath the lens nothing happens.
- However when I turn the knob back into the opposite direction of the arrow, as far at it will go (which is different for each aperture) and then push the lever underneath the lens, the aparture does close, it makes quite the noise Laughing

So it doesn't seem to work as it should but it works

I will be taking this lens to the zoo next weekend, for now a couple of quick shots in the garden just to get an idea of its performance. All wide open, and 10 second self timer. Only half a stop exposure was added in post. On the cat image you can clearly see CA.

And a photo of one of my cats who has modeled on many test pics before Wink

Last edited by !Karen on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can someone confirm if there are other interchangeble mounts available for this system?

Mount is A mount, interchangeable mount. Arsenal factory still produce those mount, so that's not hard to find. M42 and Nikon are common mount, as PK I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen,

Nice first pics! I really can't see the CA in the cat pic on my monitor - try some shots at infinity focus. This lens is usually pretty well corrected in that area - it shouldn't be a problem.

Glad you've figured out a way around the aperture mechanism. There must be a huge spring inside these lenses, because the lens does really snap down hard!

I thought my copy had a bit of problem with the aperture mechanism at first, so quite possibly yours is correct and mine is the wonky one.

Enjoy the lens!

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Karen.

It's a very good lens.
I have the whole set, complete including the tools and filters, Zenit body and Helios 44-2, in its metal case.

For the instruction manual in english :
http://tomtiger.home.xs4all.nl/zenit/cover_b.jpg.html

Click on "next" above pictures.
Save each picture by right clicking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is unbelievable bargain for the price. Beautiful colours, sharpness contrast, easy focusing durable and easy to handhold, in my opinion. All it needs is an electronic remote shutter and less conspicuous barrel grip. Same weight as the canon F4L and lacking only autofocus. I cannot tell the difference in image quality.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Tair 3S, but I don't think I can get so sharp images. Maybe because I use a M42 adapter with a lens Crying or Very sad
Can I remove the mount and replace it with T2 to Nikon? The "КП-А/Н" is a piece of that adapter? The infinity focus is working?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a Tair 3S, but I don't think I can get so sharp images. Maybe because I use a M42 adapter with a lens Crying or Very sad
Can I remove the mount and replace it with T2 to Nikon? The "КП-А/Н" is a piece of that adapter? The infinity focus is working?

I don't know the T2 mount (but the concept of A mount is the same).

But yes, you can buy an adapter like on the karen's Tair. Just unscrew the 3 screws, and mount the new mount. You will get the infinity. You can easily find such mount. An exemple here :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KP-A-N-Adapter-Mount-for-A-lens-to-Nikon-camera-or-Kiev-19-Sigma-BR-NEW-/130750154882?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item1e71510882

You can buy them from Arsenal site, but I think it's faster and safer from ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:

I don't know the T2 mount (but the concept of A mount is the same).

But yes, you can buy an adapter like on the karen's Tair. Just unscrew the 3 screws, and mount the new mount. You will get the infinity.

I was asking about the T2/Nikon because I can buy it at a local store. Somebody who sold a few Tairs told me he did replaced the original mount to that to sell them easier. T2 and M42 have just one difference i think, the 1mm vs 0.75 thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I actually prefer a bayonet mount over screwmounts who tend to come loose from the camera/adapter easily, whenthe focus/aperture ring isn't as smooth anymore.

I haven't tested infinity yet, but I guess it should reach that just fine and infinity with this lens is far away. The distance scale says 80m before infinity. I never shoot anything that far away!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen
For the instruction manual in english :
http://tomtiger.home.xs4all.nl/zenit/cover_b.jpg.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the russian -A mount is derived from the T-mount. Take the inner section of a t-mount out and the external part will fit on a -A lens. Thats what I did with my jupiter 11A.

1. Using a small screwdriver loosen the three small "grub" screws. No need or want to take them out - they're small and fiddly.
2. The M42 mount can now be taken off the end of the lens.

3. Loosen the 3 screws similarly on the bayonet mount ( I am demo'ing with a PK, nikon is the same) and remove the middle bit
4. The bayonet can now be placed on the end of the lens and the screws tightened.Once on the camera, loosen the screws again and you can now rotate the lens to correct orientation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked! I just removed the M42 mount and replaced it with the nikon part of the T2 adapter. The focus seems to infinity seems to be ok. The big difference is in the image quality, much better. Now I really hate that lens inside an adapter Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not possible to quite reach infinity with m42 lenses on a canon EOS and the mount itself has to be changed, or is that only true for nikon cameras?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem on EOS mount with M42.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirm : as Pierre said, absolutely no problem on Canon Eos.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promised in the yashica ML 300mm topic to post a picture of the 2 side by side to show the size difference.
I also added the Olympus 300mm f4.5 in the mix as I though that would have been fairer, seeing as the ML is a f5.6

Tair - Olympus OM - Yashica ML

First without hood, then with hoods (OM and ML have one build in)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tair3Phs as well as OM 300mm are excellent performers in my opinion. Nice exhibition you have shown here. Regards, Cliff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection Karen and it seems you live in a nice brick farm.

Did you get the photosniper owner's manual in english ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get the manual, it was very helpful, thank you Smile

Funny how the OM is not even as tall as the tair with it's hood fully extended Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
I did get the manual, it was very helpful, thank you Smile

Funny how the OM is not even as tall as the tair with it's hood fully extended Razz

Is this because the OM is a telephoto lens and the Tair is a long focus lens?

Interesting about the A mount. I have a couple of Russian 135's and have adapted them the same way. However not all t-mounts adapters will fit. I have one for Nikon and the ring inside is narrower than the A'mount so some grinding and filing of the t mount was needed. It fits now however.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful photos, Karen!
Congrats !
The lens shines in your hands. Very Happy

In second shot, is the Nikon colour profile basically vivid like this ?