Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

C-mount Cine lenses on G1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: C-mount Cine lenses on G1 Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cinegon/

I don't know if this was posted before -

This guy has tried Cooke, Dallmeyer, Kinoptik, etc. C-mount lenses on his G1. It looks like the longer focal lengths have coverage for 4/3, but short FL's maybe not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked

wow -- very nice indeed ..

tf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advertise for micro 4/3 we should run to purchase cine lenses before too late Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made some tests with my 17-70 2,4 SOM Berthiot c-mount.
I disasembled the rear to get some focus with my Pentax K10D. Then I compared sensorsizes and the pictures I got.
Funny how different the lens coverage is with different c-mount lenses.

Here is the result:

One of the pictures taken on the Pentax K10D.

/Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of you for samples!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small clarification to my earlier post with sensor sizes. The Panasonic G1 has a standard 4/3 sensor size, hence the inner box.
This lens will therefore, sadly, be useless on the G1. Crying or Very sad

Probably the primes have a greater coverage as seen in the link provided by luisalegria.

Off topic: I want a really small camera with interchangable lenses, smaller registration distance and a smaller sensor that can mount all the 8mm cine lenses. How cute wouldn't that be. Very Happy

/Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jan,

You may want to try the lens at different focal lengths - the coverage may change. Usually I think the coverage at longer FL is greater than at short FL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luisalegria: The shot above is taken at 70mm the longest focal length. I could not go to 17 mm due to the object hitting the lens but at around 25-30mm it looks like this.

Basically the same coverage.

First I thought it was the actual mount but in these experiments the mount is removed completely.

I might have shifted the rear optical block forward, closer to the aparture. I had to do that to get a focusing distance at all. Do you think that could have an impact?

These cine-zooms are really cool. I have heard of zooming with you feet, but here you can actually zoom with a stick. Very Happy

/Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

I think it's not cover full frame of G1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm buying a cine Canon 11-110 1:1.6 macro and P6 mount 80/2.8(don't know the brand) for 30Euros, can buy a G1 in the summer for this cine lens but I'm waiting them to support video first Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impressive that so many C-mount lenses seem to cover such a wide area. The largest area any C-mount lens would ever have had to cover would have been 16mm film, which has in image size of 10.4x7.5mm, much smaller than the 18x13.5mm of the 4/3 system. Unless, of course, there were actually some TV cameras or something that used sensor tubes with an equivalent area to a 4/3 sensor, in which case this begins to make more sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all C-mount lenses were designed for 16mm - quite a few longer lenses share everything but the actual mount with the 35mm version.

And on some, the coverage restriction is only due to the narrow C mount neck or a baffle inside the same, so that they could cover more in another mount.

Sevo