Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 100mm F/4 macro on SONY A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Canon FD 100mm F/4 macro on SONY A7 Reply with quote

Scored one mint condition FD 100mm from fleabay. Been really impressed with it! I honestly can't say it is any worse than the Tokina I just returned. Considering I only paid $40 for this, I figure it is a keeper for sure. All shot at F/8 or below, some color boosting and sharpening in LR. Nothing too dramatic. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens, too, and it's a good performer. It seems to not have a 100mm field of view, though. Or maybe I'm just too used to shooting that focal distance on my DSLR. My only complaint is that the slowness makes it dark-out the split-ring focusing screens on the FD system. But it's a nice lens and performs very well for everything I've done.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have/had a number of macro lenses. Anything around 100mm is very decent and hard to find absolute duds. FD 100 is a nice lens with very forgiving handling characteristics. I the focus throw isn't as long as Bokina but long enough to give precision focusing when needed. The F/4 isn't much a problem on EVF and the A7 stop meters anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all are nice, but #1 is a phenomenal macro, well done!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$40 for this lens is a steal Very Happy Results looks very good. Congratz! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great lens, love mine too ! #1 is just wonderful.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved them all, colors are really tasteful.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPEC-tacular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
$40 for this lens is a steal Very Happy Results looks very good. Congratz! Wink

X2!

Renato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I am waiting for some extension tube to make this 1:1. I will report back after I try it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Thanks all. I am waiting for some extension tube to make this 1:1. I will report back after I try it.

When new, this lens came with a 50mm tube, at least mine did. Was yours missing when you purchased it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a photo of my Canon 100mm FD macro with the supplied tube.

IMG_3115 by killwilly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killwilly wrote:
This a photo of my Canon 100mm FD macro with the supplied tube.

IMG_3115 by killwilly, on Flickr

Mine didn't come with it. Sad I ordered some cheap E mount extension tube and thought it will probably do the exact same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens, but I find it restrictive on my EOS 7D, but I do use it occasionally on my T90, which is what it was bought for in the early 80's. Did you take those images with your Sony, or the Canon?

For Macro now, I prefer to use a couple of M42 lenses reverse mounted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killwilly wrote:
It's a great lens, but I find it restrictive on my EOS 7D, but I do use it occasionally on my T90, which is what it was bought for in the early 80's. Did you take those images with your Sony, or the Canon?

For Macro now, I prefer to use a couple of M42 lenses reverse mounted.

All images were taken on an SONY A7. How do you use this FD lens on your Canon? With a glassed adapter?

If you enjoy macro, I would check out Tamron SP line which has a couple really good options. I frequently use Tamron SP 90 2.5, Tamron SP 35-80, and Tamron 70-210 F/3.5 as macro on my Canon 550D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
How do you use this FD lens on your Canon? With a glassed adapter?

I use an FD to EOS adapter which I bought off eBay, it did have glass which I removed and will work fine up to about one metre.

This is an image I took with this lens and adapter with my old 450D.

IMG_5556 by killwilly, on Flickr