Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar 4/80-200 T* adapter advice for EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar 4/80-200 T* adapter advice for EOS Reply with quote

Hey all, I won this item on Ebay:
http://ebay.eu/UPpRN0
(note how they mislabeled the lens!!)

Pretty exciting, but now I am panicking a bit as to which adapter to buy to mount it to my Canon 60d.
Any tips for a contax/YA to EOS adapter that would work well with this lens?

Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always recommend this one Click here to see on Ebay . It mount lens firmly and thickness is very good for most lenses. Read this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/zeiss-35-70-focus-infinity-problem-t65835.html before you purchase the adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I always recommend this one Click here to see on Ebay . It mount lens firmly and thickness is very good for most lenses. Read this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/zeiss-35-70-focus-infinity-problem-t65835.html before you purchase the adapter.

Hey, thanks for the help!

Sadly that seller's shop appears empty in the UK.
Any other tips? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Any other tips? Smile

Try this link, it should take you to the following page.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C-Y-CY-Contax-Yashica-Yashinon-Zeiss-lens-Canon-EOS-Mount-Adapter-/261506723370

If you still see something like this, try to use a different browser like Google Chrome.

P.S. Keep in mind this is a pain adapter without AF confirm chips.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for a third of that price..... Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter which adapter you buy, make sure the thickness of the adapter is ~1.425mm as I mentioned in the other thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Any other tips? Smile

Try this link, it should take you to the following page.

P.S. Keep in mind this is a pain adapter without AF confirm chips.

Worked nicely thanks!

And yep, not interested in focus confirm Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
No matter which adapter you buy, make sure the thickness of the adapter is ~1.425mm as I mentioned in the other thread.

I have various adaptors that are too thick (for other mounts) and am sick of that problem. If you say these are likely good than I am happy to pay a bit more... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

Did you try this one yourself?
I don't want to run into infinity focus issues and having to buy a more expensive later anyway Smile.
(which happened to me before)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I have various adaptors that are too thick (for other mounts) and am sick of that problem. If you say these are likely good than I am happy to pay a bit more... Smile

I have order this adapter for few members in this forum. No quality issues I have heard. It is hard to go wrong with a seller with 100% feedback on over 400+ purchase. If you are not sure the thickness of the adapter, you could ask them before you buy it. They are helpful to answer any questions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thickness is less important for many prime lenses but you need precise thickness for the zooms.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The thickness is less important for many prime lenses but you need precise thickness for the zooms.

Why is that?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Why is that?

Most old prime lens move the entire lens groups uniformly when focusing(we call this unit focusing). With an adapter with wrong thickness, the distance scale will not longer be accurate but the performance of the lens will not be degraded.

Zoom lens only moves parts of the lens groups when focusing, some of the lens groups might stay at the same position or move in different manners. With an adapter with wrong thickness, the positions of the certain lens groups to the sensor is changed. The position of the focusing groups have to compensate for this change in order to get a sharp image. This might result lost of infinity at certain focal length. Moreover, the lens might not keep the focus point when you adjust to a different focal length. Last but not least, the IQ of the lens will have a small degradation. These problems will also happen with prime lens with front cell focusing, internal focusing or floating elements etc.

No matter which adapter you bought, please report back your result.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

I don't want to run into infinity focus issues and having to buy a more expensive later anyway Smile.

Yep, works just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Yep, works just fine.

Hey thanks to both of you!
Smile I may get one of each eventually.

If I can find a reasonably priced vario-sonnar 3.4 35-70 mm T* then ill be covered over a pretty big focal length range.
Not sure what a fair price is judging by Ebay though.